or Connect

Posts by beachcomber

The best thing about getting an assessment is that it gives you information one way or the other. If she is Aspie, then you know and can deal with it. If she isn't you can rule it out and keep searching. But your daughter sounds almost exactly the same as mine, who is 6 and Aspie (her diagnosis is High Functioning Autism) but she fits the Aspie criteria.
Has anyone suggested Gabapentin to you? My DD has had sleep disorder for years and we finaly figured out it's due to a combination of Autism, severe separation anxiety and Restless Leg (limb) Syndrome. The Gabapentin helps wiht the neurological pain she gets from teh RLS and so she cna stay asleep instead of twitching and waking. She takes a combination of liquid iron, slow-release melatonin, certraline (for the anxiety) and a low dose of Gabapentin. Given the epilepsy,...
This is our experience:   DD, 6, has HFA, severe separation anxiety (from birth), SPD and RLS (restless leg syndrome).   I have been struggling with the separation anxiety all her life. Like all here, we could never leave the room, she'd call out if she went to the bathroom (often she'd ask us to come), she still gets worried when we go to the garage, etc., she has never been able to play off by herself and so on. We tried CBT through her support team in the...
I just wanted to add about ME and my husband, since this is a thread about parents with AS. I don't have AS but I do have severe GAD (anxiety disorder) which is getting worse over the years even with meds. Buh. My husband has AS but has learned to cope very well with social interactions in a workplace setting. He trained as a fine artist but works with computers in educational technology. He's very gifted at problem solving, thinking outside the box and being...
So glad to hear it! You'll be amazed how much she use it, I bet.
You're awesome Spotted Fox. Right now I really needed a cheerleader in my corner. :) I hope to be able to do the same for you someday soon.
Thanks, Spotted Fox. It really is encouraging to be told that. I've learned to be careful what I share about meds and DD and with whom.   We're part of a research project on pediatric sleep disorders as they relate to kids with special needs. It's amazing to be part of the research and DD has benefited hugely from the meds for that. Through the study, we learned she has Restless Leg Syndrome which we had no idea about. The med she's taking is being used...
If she's Aspie, does she have a Dx? Is she on an IEP? What about an Aide in the classroom for her? These things could help her cope, not be held to the same standards as NT kids and keep with her cohort of friends.
We have the first one and have been using it since last October with my 6 year old daughter. It's totally safe, we've used it indoors and outdoors with her. Ours is set up like a hammock but she can lie, swing, bounce, just sit, really go at it or just be mellow. It's amazingly versatile and she's never fallen out. Bottomed out a few times, but never fallen out.
My DD - 6 - has been on Zoloft (Sertraline) - a SSRI - since December and it's made a remarkable improvement in her life. She has HFA, SPD, some OCD and severe separation anxiety - she has had since birth, I am not kidding. I didn't post about it here when it was happening because I worried about getting negative comments around the idea of giving a 6 year old anti-depressant meds. The improvement has been off the charts for her.  She also has HFA, which lends itself to...