or Connect

Posts by tamaralv

I ended up pumping 3-4 times a day at work and would at times need to answer the phone for the office or make a call. Since I *justified* pumping at work to my boss by saying I would still be working (only modified - shhh don't tell) I took phone calls when need be. Sometimes during these calls people would ask what that *noise* was. Try as I might I could not get the pump to be quiet enough to go unnoticed. Some people (who had already asked) knew I was pumping when...
Thanks for helping me with this, everyone. I do appreciate your thoughts. And if you have links for articles, even better I was thinking about this last night some more. I do want to clarify that DH and I don't switch languages willy-nilly. There probably is a pattern to it, just not one that I have identified (for example, if we are talking about my family, it is usually in English, as that is what we use to communicate with them. If we talk about his family...
Thanks for your reply, Maria. You do get what I am saying. Or at least I think you do Do any of you know of actual studies that show it is better to do OPOL than it is to learn language in a household that does not follow a consistent pattern? I'm just wondering (playing devil's advocate, here) if we are quick to assume (and I am one of those!) that OPOL or speaking one language one place, the other elsewhere, are "better" just because that appears to be the current...
And to follow up on that - My thought is that my daughter will still be getting the language input from both parents, in both languages. Is that somehow more difficult for her than using OPOL? Tamara
Thanks for the advice. I think I should clarify what I am trying to say about a "forced" language pattern. What I mean by "forced" is that DH and I, if it is just the two of us and no one else around (ok, or even if someone else is around), speak to each other in BOTH English AND Spanish. Sometimes we switch mid-conversation, sometimes we don't. That is the way we talk. We use both languages. So add DD to the mix and all of a sudden I am considering changing from...
Hello! I just found this thread but want to ask a quick question: My husband is a native Spanish speaker. I am a native English speaker. We are both fairly proficient in the other language as well (his English is probably better than my Spanish, b/c he gets to practice it all day at work). We are raising our 14 mo daughter to be bilingual in Spanish and English. We live in the US. Situation: I have not been able to coax DH into speaking exclusively Spanish to...