or Connect

Posts by Maman*Musique

I don't stick anything in my ears! My hearing is precious.
Quote: Originally Posted by KristiMetz I hope you aren't taking my statements personally... I didn't mean anyone specific when I said there was a classist element. I'm sure you are not being classist by buying Pirate's Booty. I just meant I thought that element was there for some people. And, personally I feel products like that are just the health food equivalent of the junk food I see at regular stores... the lesser of two evils, essentially. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by KristiMetz It's basically junk food. It has very little nutritional value. It's also extremely expensive compared to Chee-Tos or whatever puffed cheesy thing the stores have these days. Hence the classism remark. Actually Pirate's Booty is $1.49 at Trader Joe's and about $1.69 at Whole Foods. Unfortunately the same Pirate's Booty is sometimes $3.00 at a "regular" grocery store. Maybe that has something to...
Quote: Originally Posted by KristiMetz Honestly, I think there is a bit of classism when it comes to food choices. This might be based on location. When I was a kid and we were shopping at the local hfs it was anything but snobby. We were frindge and looked it Where we recently moved from, a very rich and snobby town, the local hfs was where the non-snob, hippyish women went - or the kids who did not fit the town norm, worked. We left...
I don't understand why it has to be an all or nothing proposition. I don't know a single person who eats ALL organic. I try to eat certain things organic that I know have the most pesticides - for intance, strawberries which I only buy on sale. I often buy produce at Trader Joe's where it is frozen and organic and as cheap as the regular stuff at Stop and Shop. Organic is great on many levels but it is way down the list from chemicals in foods and hormones in dairy....
Quote: Originally Posted by GoodWillHunter But, what I'm seeing is a desire to feel superior to people who eat "junk" or what have you and that makes me sad. I feel superior at times when my sister's kids are sick and mine haven't seen a doctor in two years. Obiouvsly (tongue in cheek) I'm better than she is in parenting. Maybe we should turn our glances inward and look at why we have the need to feel superior to others. I have absolutely...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nikel1979 The closest Whole Foods to me is 125 miles away, and the closest Trader Joes is about 250 miles. So no, i CAN'T shop there to save money. Not I don't want to, but I can't afford the gas and an entire day on grocery shopping. I used to live far from those places too. I did have a small hfs though and they had great sales. The regular stores in this area all have health food sections but their prices are...
I'm copying my post from the other thread as it might make more sense in this thread....hope that's ok I'm afraid to post and be flamed but here goes... I don't shop at the "mainstream" supermarkets very often so I don't see people's carts loaded with these foods. I do think though that it isn't about judging the person buying the cart full of processed foods. It is more about the foods themselves for me. There are so many toxic ingredients in the foods people buy....
I'm afraid to post and be flamed but here goes... I don't shop at the "mainstream" supermarkets very often so I don't see people's carts loaded with these foods. I do think though that it isn't about judging the person buying the cart full of processed foods. It is more about the foods themselves for me. There are so many toxic ingredients in the foods people buy. Remember Olestra? Nutrasweet? Dyes? I am seriously freaked out by all the chemicals in these...
My husband just brought home the magazine New Scientist (never heard of it myself) and in it, he discovered an article about UC. It mentions this very board and a particular member who is gathering information on UC. I have only read half of the article as I am waiting for the kids to go to sleep so I can focus. They have a website but it appears to be down www.newscientist.com the article has www.newscientist.com/channel/health