or Connect

Posts by jackson'smama

any tips?  i'm trying to save as much as possible, and for me it's pretty easy.  for my children and dh, on the other hand, it feels confining and like they're "missing out" on something.  i don't want to set up a false situation of them thinking we have it all when we don't, but i also don't want them feeling like i'm depriving them.  what are ways i could sneak in some frugality in all areas of our life without it having the outward feelings of frugality?  does that...
i can't figure myself out, but whatever it is is making me feel bad.  when i or my children receive a gift that is not needed or fitting to us, i feel bad.  bad that that person spent money on something that won't get used.  i feel guilty donating, regifting, or returning.  i've even felt a little guilt over exchanging due to size!  it makes me feel like i'm not being grateful.  today i silently cursed the stuffed animal my daughter received in the mail.  no one in our...
well, i'm hoping the drama is over, and maybe i'm making too big of a deal out of it.  it's just weird stuff like occasionally faulty electronics (dvd player, auto door opener, auto window), and then there's the brakes - all repaired and covered, but i was told to basically make sure i'm driving correctly so i'm not overusing them?????  this is the only car i've ever owned needing break work at 10k miles. and then at a little less than 12k!   now, i see a little bubble...
i have a car i want to trade in.  we still owe on it, but less than blue book value.  it's two years old.  i don't feel that it is a super reliable car and just am starting to feel antsy about taking it on long trips - even though it's only broken down once (on vacation at less than 5k miles!).  since then, i've just clinched my butt on long trips :)  seriously. now, i'm thinking we should trade, while it's still in it's prime wrt value.  but that's gonna add to our...
whew!  thanks for the replies.  ok, i've read some of the books recommended, but not all.  definitely need to go back over some stuff.  unfortunately, you know the thing with parenting - you never really feel like you can take the time to "read and get one step ahead" b/c there's always something going on! it's definitely hard finding one on one time during the day.  my kids have never been nappers so even my 13 month old doesn't reliably nap and if she does it's...
my ds 7 has challenged me to the point where i have no idea what to do and i have found no resource truly helpful. he has a 4 yo brother and 1 yo sister.  we are having MAJOR issues of bad attitude, wanting to be in charge and in control of EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE, being violent with younger brother (snatching toys, demanding that he share with him but not doing the same in return, demanding that he play with him or leave him alone, smacking, kicking, yelling,...
i feel for you.  my sons are 7 and 4. i hope you get some answers here.  i'd like some help too!
bulldozer:  doolbozer refrigerator:  fray-frayger (my ABSOLUTE favorite!) cantaloup:  plope plope yogurt:  odurt airplane:  hairpain   my boys are 4 and 6 now and they sometimes ask "how did i use to say ____?" b/c they know how much i love their old mispronounciations!
but what about the low interest rates now???????  that's what i can't stop thinking about.  by my calculations, we can afford almost double now what we we could when we owned our last home, just thanks to the lower interest rates right now.  seems we're missing the boat if we wait.  tell me why we're not!
the survey is getting scheduled today to plot off our future 10 acres.  we are getting a great deal and are paying cash.  plan to build at some point but there are a few things to think about,,, 1) we are renting  - have been for 5 years.  rent is less than half our former mortgage.  no lease.  landlords want us to stay b/c we take such good care of it(200 yr old log home on 4 acres).  i feel certain our rent will never go up.  if we couldn't pay it for a while (which...