or Connect

Posts by mom at home

Very well said, El's 3 ones. How can we condemn her if we haven't walked in her shoes. It is impossible to know what it's like to be in that frame of mind if we haven't experienced it. On the other hand, on a gut level it's VERY hard to not condemn her actions. Until I experienced anxious depression myself last fall I condemned her wholly. I was not anywhere near pychosis and I had lots of support from friends and family and I was still scared of myself and felt...
Hi lilypad, I got your address. Thanks! Alison
Two wonderful midwife-attended homebirths. I wouldn't do it any other way unless there was a good reason.
My older dd has never expressed much interest in what her genitals are called, although when she was two we discussed that she had a clitoris instead of a penis. She called it a "clipper" and would proudly tell people that she had a clipper. Of course they had no idea what she was talking about. My younger dd (4) asked me recently "if boys have penises, then what do girls have?" I told her a vagina and a labia, but vuvla is more all encompassing and I like yoni as...
My dd and I made a pinata for her 6 yr old birthday party (last fall). We had so much fun making it together and it was a hit at the party. It's a little time consuming though. We often have treasure hunts. The kids decorate a bag with stickers, markers, etc. and the treasure hunt goodies go in the bag. Other ideas: 1. a treasure hunt where each child has a particular color of string or ribbon, it is wound all through the house and they have to try to follow theirs...
Hi friend of mine, I've heard those chemicals are pretty bad. There are natural remedies that apparently work pretty well. Certain essential oils, but I can't remember which ones right now. It seems like there was an article in Mothering in the past that gave some natural remedies. I'd research it before I used the chemical ones. Let me know what happens. I hope she doesn't get them. I have no idea how long they take to run their course in a preschool. Alison
Lilypad, I don't know how to PM, so if you want to email me, I can get your address that way. Alison edited to remove my email address
Becca, I can relate. My 6 yr old dd started doing this around the time she turned 5. She had been pretty mellow previously. She is now 6 and it's not getting much better, although it comes and goes. Someone posted along these lines a couple months ago and there were some interesting suggestions mentioned. One was teething (5 yr. molars). My dd has been working on hers since last summer and they are taking forever to come through, still haven't. The other was...
Saganaga, My favorite book for ideas is: The Art of Feltmaking by Anne Einset Vickrey. I also like: How to make Felt by Anne Belgrave. Alison
My sister is a midwife and has attended around 500 births. She has never had a baby born still. Some good friends of mine had a baby who died during labor. They don't know why, the doctor doesn't know why. One minute his heart tones were fine, the next minute were not there. Everything was normal up until then as far as they could tell. Most of her labor was at home, it was planning to be a homebirth, but they ended up transporting her because she was progressing...