or Connect

Posts by fizzymom

I've got jury duty next week. I've also got an 11 year old with PDD-NOS, anxiety, and ZERO impulse control, a 9 year old with sensory issues and an as-of-yet undiagnosed receptive and expressive communication problem, and a 4 year old with food allergies ( wheat, barley, rye, oats, rice, peanuts, and tree nuts). My first passing thought was "hooray, I'll get to do something different for a change", and then I crashed back to reality. I don't have childcare. Never have....
Nope. No rice at all. He has never even eaten it directly, he reacts to it in my diet (still BF). If I eat one bite of rice he has diarrhea and wakes up screaming and arching his back at night. We even avoid vitamins with rice derived ingredients.   I'll look into ALCAT. Thanks.
We use quinoa sometimes for variety - I sometimes just crave an asian-y meal and I use quinoa instead of rice there, but my older two don't like it. They both have sensory issues and I think they just don't like the texture. I suspect that millet, teff and amaranth would all have similar texture issues for my older two. We do use sweet potatoes a lot, along with regular ones.   Kathy, I don't understand - did your DS get regular rice, wild rice or both...
Mostly, I'm looking for side dish options. We are all tired of corn and potatoes.   I have read both that they are unrelated and that they are close cousins. DS2 has reached relative equilibrium and at this point (2.5 years old) I don't want to rock the boat too much. He still has occasional eczema, but all of the GI issues seem to be gone. *knocking on wood*   I haven't seen job's tears anywhere and while I will keep an eye out for them, I can't see myself going...
Does anyone know if wild rice is related closely enough to cause a reaction in someone allergic to regular rice? My 2 year old DS2 can't have gluten or rice. The gluten isn't a big deal, but the rice is making things difficult and we were hoping to be able to add some variety. I'm just a bit nervous about doing a trial without more information.   TIA
I just found out that there is a state code that prohibits the use of 11 or more passenger vehicles from transporting students unless they meet federal school bus safety standards, which I am pretty sure they do not. Does anyone have a clear-headed suggestion on what I should do next. I am so angry right now that I can't even see straight.
The field trip teachers drive the vans at least once a week. I doubt that they have anything other than a regular license because it's not required. The outside seats have shoulder belts, but the center ones do not, so 4 kids in each van are in lap belts. Until this last trip, DS1 has been in a shoulder belt because he knows I'm a freak about it. He was harnessed in a Frontier until he was too tall for it, and then still used it as a highback booster until a couple of...
odenata-Thank you for the links. They will give me someplace to start looking, and if I am reading the chart correctly, they should not be using the vans to transport students. paquerette-Thanks for the advice, that's why I'm here - to collect myself before I contact the school so I don't rip someone's face off like I wanted to do this afternoon when I found out. Marsupialmom-To answer your questions: I signed a field trip consent form at the beginning of the school...
I need help fast. I just found out that my 9yo DS1 went on a field trip at school, in an 11 passenger school van, wearing just a lap belt for a 2 hour each way ride (4 hours total). This trip was on a highway, part of which is undivided, part of the trip was up (and down) a narrow, curvy mountain road. I am positively livid and before I approach the school, need some perspective. As I said, I am livid. Am I over-reacting? I am going to try to find some information, but...
It may not be the solution you are looking for, but have you considered a "date day"? Then you could hire the middle-schooler.