or Connect

Posts by catnip

Yes, this is what I was trying to say ... just getting the vast majority of it out will improve things, and then you can figure out how careful your family needs to be. My friend's son stopped dropping weight and being constantly sick by just going to 'no gluten ingredients.'  It took them a couple of years to realize he needs the tested, dedicated facility special foods to really feel well.  (I am not GF, but my best friend's family is, and I feed them at least once a...
It really depends on your kids and how sensitive they are. Most people I know start out by just not eating it. You'll see if that makes an improvement. Many people I know can still share a kitchen and cooking equipment with gluten with no problems, but others can't. I know a couple of people who can eat regular oats, but others who need the special tested gluten free kind.   Butter has some casein in it, ghee is generally considered not to. A decent, non-GMO,...
See, I don't understand why avoiding a diagnosis is desirable. Without a documented diagnosis, I would have been unable to get a dispensation from disabled student services in college, to allow me to work on an embroidery project in a lecture class, even though the professor objected (embroidery and crocheting are two of the tricks I use to keep my mind from wandering when I need to focus on auditory input. I got that idea from a fantasy novel I read when I was a...
1 cup lentils 2 cups water 2 tbsp maple syrup 2 tbsp tamari 1 tbsp olive oil 1/2 tsp ginger 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed 1 small onion, chopped   Combine in an oven proof casserole, and bake at 350 for 90min-2hrs.  
My daughter started showing signs of differing attention ability when she took her first dance class, a preschool class for kids 2-4, at age 3 1/2. She was definitely not the youngest in the class, but the only kid that had a harder time with paying attention in that class was a 2 year-old still in diapers. She still had a blast, and the teacher totally adjusted for her, so it wasn't a really a -problem-, just a difference.   I did not pursue a diagnosis at that...
  I think medication is overused, and I think the very real dangers of ADHD drugs are often glossed over. But that still does not mean that it is NEVER an appropriate treatment choice.
    Oh really?   http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/dissertations/AAI8604927/
Brown rice whole wheat pastry flour Black, pinto, navy, garbanzo beans Brown and red lentils sunflower seeds pasta sugar apple cider vinegar cocoa powder mild/neutral tasting vegetable oil salt baking soda baking powder oatmeal raisins brown sugar   Most essential fruits and veggies: apples carrots onions potatoes cabbage (plus whatever I can get from the garden/orchard, and what ever is cheap, in season, on sale at the...
I'm more likely to frame the statement like this: the wrong foods can make things worse. If my friend's son gets gluten, he goes from being a bright, happy boy with a broken volume knob and a bit of trouble with social cues, to a miserable, non-verbal one who just sits there rocking. My daughter is always distractible or hyper-focused, give her red food dye, though, and she is miserable, out of control, and bouncing off the walls. Both of these happen quick, within about...
SPD seems to often appear in concert with ADHD. Most of the people I know with ADHD have some sort of sensory issue.