or Connect

Posts by mmaramba

What's the hypothesis?  That stress or postdates causes cord issues?  Just trying to suss out what you suspect...   This is just off the cuff and I am not a HCP, etc.-- but I'd actually expect later babies to be LESS likely to have cord issues.  No?  Because they are more likely to be "cooked" and have gotten themselves into a good position, not have room to move into a less favorable one, etc.  Plus bigger babies (which, all things being equal, later babies would...
Orvis...  I'm sorry if I'm not reading closely enough, but are you saying you've "picked" an IV drug that you'd prefer IF you use it?  You haven't just decided on using it, right?   What you describe with your previous birth is exactly why you'll probably want to look into hypnosis and such.  There are many times when drugs will not be available or practical even if you want them (before you get to the hospital, if you get there "too late," etc.)-- that's exactly why...
Sign up for FlyLady   https://www.bigtent.com/groups/flylady   You don't have to do everything.  Just a little at a time and you'll be amazed.   Honestly, I am a skeptic, can't stand to be a follower, I don't even do 1/4 of what they recommend-- and my life is waaaaay better for it.
  Actually, no, it was not a matter of "doubt," but a sincere question.  I was trying to picture how a cord wrapped tightly around a baby's neck cuts off circulation or what-have-you.  It's not something I fully understand.  That is, I understand that cord compression can lead to death, and I also understand that nuchal cords usually do not cause death, so I was trying to understand why-- how, really-- some do.  What the "difference" is, or if anyone knows definitively.
Great advice, Lisa!   I'm subscribing to this thread, because I am planning on TTC soon, decided on a HB* YEARS ago, and your situation is closer to mine than any other.  DH is totally on board, my MD mom (most of whose clinical experience was in the ER) is 90%+ on board (and will be there)... but I am dreading having to tell my former OB/GYN nurse grandmother (my dad's mom).  I've actually had DREAMS about trying to keep my cool when I explain-- and I'm not even...
I hate to even add to this thread but yes, of course a baby can die in later pregnancy, even with no labor yet, by the cord wrapping too tightly around her neck. This happened to my friend.  She was not in labor yet at all.   I'm so sorry for your friend's loss.  What about the tightly-wrapped cord caused her baby to die?
I absolutely agree with this, but always come back to the fact that, for me, assuming I am as "low-risk" as almost every woman in my family has been, there would be greater risks in the hospital to start with.  Not necessarily huge risks, but greater ones.  And I'm just talking about physical risks.    I think sometimes when a homebirthing woman says "the mortality risk is equal (the morbidity risk is lower) at home*" people respond as if the woman said "as long as...
I am totally open to this being true, but...  First of all, you referenced an article, not the study or studies themselves.  There were endnotes, but I'd like to get a direct link to which study/ies suggest this.   Second of all, this is what I saw in the article:   Pregnancy lasting beyond 41 weeks: Various studies have compared induction of labor at or after 41 weeks with expectant management, which involved repeated tests of fetal well-being between 41 and 42 weeks....
No.  Once you get to 90 weeks, you get a baby, a Christmas ham, a big screen TV, an assortment of fine collectibles and a cash prize of over $35,000.  She's only got 6 weeks to go-- I say she holds out.     Sorry, couldn't resist!
There were plenty of other things that didn't add up (though a bit less obviously than many trolls), plus the "lol" thing... ehhh...  And there were little things, like both of them using the term "certified sonographer," that I didn't point out because-- at least in theory-- friends who had discussed these things in depth would tend to use the same terminology.  But, you know... a  15-1/4 lb baby... "caused" by the foolishness that is a UP/UC*... and birthed vaginally,...