or Connect

Posts by SoHappy

Our Santa's House benefits a non-profit, so I take my own pics but make a donation. They still get money from me, they just don't have to give me one of those crappy pictures.
We've had DSL for years with no problems. You probably had phone line problems in your old house and just didn't know it until you got DSL. Data transmission requires a higher quality connection than voice.
What you want to do takes much thought and planning, but is definitely achievable—and worthwhile! We survive off a teacher's salary in one of the most expensive areas of California (San Luis Obispo) but we have everything we need. The big rewards are more than worth the small sacrifices. I second Your Money or Your Life and also recommend the discussion forums at the Simple Living Network. There are many people there with goals like yours. And many already living the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dar Even if you have a Costco cash card to pay, you need a membership card to get in, and you also need one to pay. dar Nope, not true. You have to be a member to BUY a Costco Cash Card, but not to use one. That's why I said to have a member buy the card for you. You can just ask a friend or neighbor to pick one up next time they go and you can pay them for it. See the Costco website: "You must be a Costco...
Have a member buy you a Costco cash card with your money. You don't have to be a member to shop using a cash card.
I get where you're coming from. The last event for a group of my friends included wine tasting and transportation by limo to our private seats at a concert by the sea. But you can come up with your own invitations to things you're able to do. Introduce them to the finer things in life! Scour local notices to find free lectures, performances, etc. and invite everybody to join you. Have movie night at your house. Organize a book club or walking group or even a volunteer...
I am actually saddened that people think credit is a right and there is some big "they" out there messing with this right. In a recent discussion, someone I know said, "The current credit crisis is a symptom of our culture living above its means - from individuals buying on credit, investors investing money with borrowed funds to corporations leveraging their assets to exaggerate the returns for shareholders." Something to think about. When we ask for credit, we are...
More applause for Velochic. The criteria that something must appear expensive or luxurious is just wrong to me. How about aiming for something with meaning? It can be silly or lovey or thought-provoking. Write love poems (on paper or your body!), frame pictures of his favorite places, create a night where no detail is missing—his favorite foods, favorite music, favorite memories, favorite woman. What man wouldn't want to know that you notice what's important to him and...
I never make big decisions quickly, but it sounds like he's on a good path of discovery. How about checking out the book "Your Money or Your Life? It has some great ideas and can help you make a game plan. Also, check out the discussion forums at http://www.simpleliving.net
It's so crazy. Definitely history-making. And so frustrating. We saw it coming for so many years. I'm sorry, but when a doofus like me can spot the problems from such range, why can't the "experts"? People wouldn't listen to me, either. "No, that's not gonna happen. They won't let it! If that was going to happen, they'd know in time to stop it!" For the last several years I've kept our savings split among two banks and a credit union. I like knowing that if one place...