or Connect

Posts by j924

Not sure about Africa but we did embark on a trip to my dh's birth place in Bequia (small island in the Carribean) when my kids were 6,4,2,and 8 mos. We were taking 4 very city American kids to what is a third world country and I had a lot of your same fears but things truned out remarkably well. We took a lot of the snacky food that the kids love with us on the airplane and that served also as the default food when they didn't like the food served. Some of my kids ate...
I don't think you are doing nothing to address the situation when you leave. I think it is a valuable lesson that you are teaching your child. When someoneis mistreating you, you have the power to leave. It is one of the frist real consequences I see children grasping. It happened to us today at a sprinkler park. My own children are old enough to deal with unruly kids themselves but I also had my daycare kids with me and they are small. There was a family of out of...
Is your ds a perfectionist. I have found that the kids in prehool/daycare who don't initiate can tend to be the ones who are most afraid of making a mistake. Maybe his teacher can make it less stressful with repetitions and reminders. With my dc kids I tend to repeat the next three things we are going to do through out the day. Snack, bathroom, coats truns into bathroom coats outside to coats outsdie choices. The kids can't help but know what is next. Also if I have...
You said he was playing/pushing against a play house door and hurt someones hand. Maybe the teacher saw that grabbed his arm and either pinched him with her fingers or on the door he was leaning on. Hopefully the tape will give you some clarity.
Can you modify the daily schedule? Drop them late and/or pick them up early. I do daycare from home and this schedule is much less disruptive than random days off. Good luck and do take some time for you. J
Has he recently given up a nap? It sounds like you know that it is hunger and fatigue. Could he cuddle up with a book or a movie and a high protein snack during this time? Maybe make a little oasis in the corner of a room just for him and just for this time. Or another thought maybe during the good times you are trying to do too much and by 11 he's overwhelmed. Maybe try a boring morning and head out (with a snack/picnic) during the rough times.
Maybe he ran a fighting ring in his basement ala Fight Club.
I do daycare at the house and have had some similar exchanges with kids that age. Their parents will say something to them in a moment that they take very literally because everything at five is literal. I had one mom upset that her dd had ruined a pair of shorts with a combo of sand, water, and chalk paint. I warn parents about messes and the mother's comment was mostly directed at her own frustration for letting the child wear non messy clothes to school. Her dd took...
Could the original school he went to have fostered some of the I am beter than you mentality? We have a private school in the neighborhood that prides itself on being better than everyone else. They are very into early reading with lots of memorization and the teachers preach that they are the best, smartest, etc. The kids that come from this school are unbearably arrogant. They have had horrific transitions and usually have a lot of behavioral issues when they end up...
My dc are much older now and I never tandem nursed but we do have to be out of the house by 7 during school. What about a cup of water/juice for when ds1 wakes? I know I need something to drink as soon as I wake. Maybe a couple sips of something could tide him over until ds2 is finished with the potty. Also set up clothes choices the night before and keep them all in your room. That way you can either play get dressed games with ds1 while nursing ds2 or you could all...