or Connect

Posts by lisalou

I don't know with dd I delayed vaxes until she was 2. She had a few ear infections, 2 bouts of pneumonia and a stomach bug. Got her caught up on vaxes and other than a couple of quick mild colds she hasn't been sick since and she's 6. Nutrition for her hasn't changed we eat whole foods and grains although breastfeeding ended right before she was 3. I have yet to see anything even vaguely credible about vaccines damaging immune systems to cause chronic illnesses and I...
Sorry there really aren't any books full of actual scientific studies showing the dangers of vaccines. There are a lot of anti-vax books by people who aren't scientists reinterpreting data to conform to anti-vax arguments though.
Quote: Originally Posted by tessie Don't all vax studies compare the vaccinated to the unvaccinated? How else do they know if it works? Only when there is no other vaccine out there for the disease. So for Gardasil, yes placebo group. For a new measles, vax, no. But all vaxes get tested on animals first. As a side not, it's kind of a big no-no for anyone to release a galley for a paper before it's actually been reviewed and published. I...
This study is seriously flawed. Only 2 weeks using a vaccine that isn't even used. The statistical difference is very small. Not to mention this study was done by a company that makes money off of people who have been "damaged" by vaccines. I'm all for being critical of vaxes but honestly if this study had shown no difference or that vaccines actually helped these monkeys we'd be tearing the methodology apart limb by limb.
You know the teacher better than we do obviously. If she always overreacts to your "out of norm" parenting then I wouldn't think anything of it. However, if she doesn't usually I would be tempted to make sure ds wasn't talking about slaughterhouses a lot. Not just asking once "what is a slaughterhouse?" Mainly b/c it could be a sign that he was actually a little traumatized by seeing the movie. That is probably what the teacher was worried about even if she does overreact...
When we needed to change from the crib we wanted to get a bed we could sit with dd on to read her books before bed. We could not find a toddler bed that would support more than 50 lbs. Apparently that the NIST or whatever weight floor for toddler beds so that's what most of the support. So we ended up getting a bed from IKEA that coverts from a smaller toddler size to a full twin. That was dd didn't end up with a suddenly much bigger bed and we can cuddle on it for book...
Quote: Originally Posted by east carolina Jumping back into the thread to add that I don't even think the receptionist was being all that rude. She was snippy and cold for sure, but I don't think I'd get my panties all in a twist because some receptionist thought my kids should have been in the daycare when they clearly would have been better served there. I don't assume that the receptionist at the doctor's office is going to jump for joy when kids...
I don't think the slippery slope argument is valid here. Or it just shows a lack of understanding about allergies. Things that get a ban in school aren't b/c Sally gets hives if she eats something. They get banned b/c Sally goes into shock if someone shakes her hand or rubs their hands on her desk after they eat something. For instance I was allergic as a child to chicken, turkey and fish. If I ATE any of those, my lips would become huge and my throat would slightly...
Quote: Originally Posted by turtlewomyn It sounds similar to Healthy Start here in Florida. They provide home visits (for those who want them) to moms with new babies. I had problems with breastfeeding so I had a nurse come out. She identified DD's tongue tie issue and because of that I was eventually able to breastfeed. I had a friend who called the same number as I did, and she was told they wouldn't visit her because her income was too high. I...
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I don't find people where I live actively talking about the great sex they had last night. Or how they feel empowered by sex. I would say talking about it is just as private and taboo as you're claiming talking about childbirth is. And maybe it's b/c I live in crunchy granola Vermont but I don't see anyone ashamed of telling their positive birth stories or sharing their not so positive birth stories. Both are used to help other women...