or Connect

Posts by lisalou

Well as a result of this Christmas I now know MIL is disappointed we're only having one. I couldn't believe she told my SIL that her second child was lucky b/c she entered "more of a family" while her first might be difficult since he had less of a family when he was born. I'd never encountered an attitude that somehow we were less parents or less of a family by only having one IRL before. DP quickly jumped all over it and MIL backtracked and pointed out she was an only. :
I think that's where baptism through desire comes into play.
I understand better what you're talking about now and am not offended. I do think you're not taking into account how the immune system works and develops. It's not static and behaves differently at different stages in our life. The immunity and ability to fight disease builds over the course of our childhood. If the immune system doesn't get the first exposure at the right times then the immune system can end up improperly trained hence allergies or at least some...
A sterile environment is not the same as a vaccination. With a vaccination you are exposing the immune system to the disease. In a sterile environment you aren't exposing the immune system to anything. Thus you haven't trained the immune system for anything. As you get older your body changes in what it fights against. This actually relates more to allergies. But current theory is when you basically sterilize an infants space and what they come in contact with you're...
Dancing Deer actually has natural food dyes made from beetroot, etc., etc. That make good colors. There are a couple of suggestions here http://www.forkandbottle.com/Kids/sugar_cookies.htm
I wonder if this is a pre-Vatican II post-Vatican II issue. My mother was definitely raised to believe in Limbo and she prayed in school for their souls. Her daughter (me) was definitely taught limbo didn't exist and the view we were given of baptism was much more like the one you got ChasingPeace.
Quote: Originally Posted by limabean As I said in another thread, I almost always feel that the recipient should graciously accept any gift and thank the giver (even if they end up quietly getting rid of the object later), but I don't think the above quoted statement is always true. Someone made a good point in another thread about how some people will plainly state that they purposely buy loud/obnoxious gifts for kids just to irritate the parents. Not...
I have to side with Miss Manners on this for the most part with one caveat. A gift is just that a gift. I don't ask for gifts. I don't make givers feel obligated. I don't like to stymie people's gift giving tendencies. I am appreciative that someone thought of me or my dd or my dp and that they feel warmly enough about one of us to give us something. However, in my family it is important to them that you like the gift they've given. They are not offended if you tell...
I guess that's what happens when you go to ccd classes and 6 years of catholic school near Notre Dame, we were told there was no limbo throughout all of my education and we asked repeatedly along with what was the purpose of the sacrament of marriage (which is to have children, btw). Those darn liberal Catholics.
Quote: Originally Posted by Coyote star Lisalou, you're right about the no limbo thing, but incorrect about babies being shielded from Original Sin. The Church teaches that all human beings, with the sole exception of Mary, have the stain of Original Sin on their souls. Even babies. However, the Church recognizes more baptisms than water baptism. There is also baptism by blood and by desire. We don't know what goes on at the moment of death, and...