or Connect

Posts by lisalou

Quote: Originally Posted by Ms.QsMama Yeah. I guess I'm just thinking, if you believe that life starts at conception, then wouldn't that life be stained by original sin as well? And if so, what becomes of that life should it die before being born (since you obviously can't baptize the unborn.) Is that any clearer? The Catholic Church doesn't believe in limbo or the idea that unbaptized babies are stained with such sin that would prevent them...
We do it to a certain degree. The difference is I really believe in family dinner time as a way for us to reconnect. I don't make dd finish dinner but she does have to try everything on her plate so that I know she's being exposed to a wide variety of foods. I feel she needs to know what's out there in order to make a choice. Otherwise we let her graze for the most part. She controls what she eats the rest of the time. I find she does go through weeks where she can't get...
We didn't baptize. We had a moment after dd was born that my lapsed Catholic mother and grandmother were disappointed b/c what if something happened? However explaining to them that limbo doesn't exist even if you're a Catholic seemed to help. As well as expressing my concern about the hypocrisy of promising to raise her Catholic if I got her baptized when I knew we wouldn't. In Catholicism baptism is the promise of the parents to raise a child Catholic and the promise of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jennisee Many times, I've thought about starting a thread about this very subject. Of course, it's the thought that counts, but what about when that thought is meant to be insulting, passive-aggressive, sneaky, dismissive, etc.? How exactly does that thought "count" in our lives? For example, I have a MIL who flat-out told me that she likes giving loud, messy gifts to children because she thinks it's funny to upset the...
I find I only have to skim for the first hour usually. But keep an eye on it if the brown foamy stuff rises to the top you want to get rid of it even after an hour. One other question, you didn't leave the giblets in by accident did you? The liver, I think, can leave a bad taste in stock as well.
I usually just add garlic and ginger to the pot and simmer for only 4-6 hours or basically until the carcass falls apart completely ie all the gelatin has gotten into the stock. I don't think you need 12 hours to do that but that might be a NT thing. If I want to concentrate the flavor more, after 4-6 hours I strain it and then simmer it until it starts to reduce by 25-50% depending on what I need it for.
Quote: Originally Posted by marybethorama But my main point is that I just read the OP again and it seems the the OP's dh didn't say a word. If he is on board with the idea of not having them he should have spoken up too IMO. Again, to me that's the problem. If the MIL is doing this as a power play, the OP immediately forbidding it and her son not chiming in unison enabled the MIL to win the power play. If the kids overheard their grandmother...
Soy milk is not a good source of calcium b/c it doesn't mix well into the soy milk and tends to sink to the bottom. If you're looking to add calcium through a drink rice milk or calcium fortified oj are better bets. DD likes milk in spurts and for other times we just try to make sure there are lots of foods with calcium on offer and we do a multivitamin, mostly so I don't have to obsess than for any real concrete reason.
Quote: Originally Posted by Cheshire I'm really curious why your dh didn't speak up to his parents. Does he feel the gifts are okay but he didn't want to rock the boat? If he feels 100% as you do then he should learn to handle his parents instead of putting his wife on the hot seat. To me, that's the problem. But also I think it should be possible to nicely tell your ILs why it's not a good gift for where you live and ask for the receipt so...
I think trial and error and also learning tricks if a recipe starts to go south. I really like Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything b/c there'll be a recipe for let's say quick tomato sauce for pasta and then under it is 12 variations or things you can add to the sauce. Same with other recipes, you learn a technique which I think helps you become more confident in trying new recipes or ingredients b/c with the technique you know what's supposed to happen and how you might...