or Connect

Posts by lisalou

I save up a couple of chicken carcasses in the freezer and use about 4-5 quarts of water, it should cover the bones. I throw in an inch of ginger and a whole head of garlic peeled and lightly smashed. Simmer for 4 hours. Even with organic free range from the farm up the road I need to skim a little for the first half hour. There's usually not that much scum, just a little. Ideally cool down in an ice bath a little and then put in your fridge overnight. This lowers risk of...
DP would kill me if we got another cat but Baxter is soooo cute. Actually what killed any remaining baby lust in me was driving dd and a friend of hers to her preschool's senior sing for the holidays. In the backseat the entire way there dd would say something like, "Excuuuuse me, I walked into your mitten." *giggle giggle* then her friend would say, "Excuuuuse me, I walked into your nose." *giggle giggle* ad infinitum Now to be fair it was cute in small doses and...
What about let her use some big needles, cast on a small row and show her how to pearl or knit? I'm thinking size 11 or 12 and maybe circular if you have them. Explain socks are hard to knit but a scarf isn't or she needs to knit two parts to make a sock . My 4 year old has been going through the same thing when I knit but not quite so frustrated. But I think I'd try that if she was too frustrated.
There's an interesting piece in the Economist about this actually- http://www.economist.com/displayStor...ry_id=10277230
Just wondering if anyone else has read this. I'm about halfway through it and find myself sort of submersed in it dreaming about the world it creates. And at the same time I can't say anything conclusive about it b/c I still have so many questions. I really like Will Self's work. Just wondering if anyone else does if anyone else has read this specific book.
Quote: Originally Posted by merpk I disagree. I think the people who wouldn't have voted for him then still wouldn't vote for him. And there are more folks who would willingly vote for him. The US is, like most countries, a country with many religious people. And a lot of candidates feel they have to play to this audience. Am thinking that maybe some folks just haven't noticed it before because it wasn't in their reality. Speaking as a...
Quote: Originally Posted by merpk After 9/11? Are you serious? In 1960 everyone said JFK couldn't get elected because he was Catholic. You know? If anything, it's easing up in that Catholics can run for office without it being an issue. The Mormon candidate's religion is apparently still an issue for many. And we won't discuss what happened when a Jew ran. I think there's a difference now though. When...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom de terre 3. Overall, the 90% of people who profess faith in a higher power are doing an admirable job of saving religion for Sunday morning. Our quotidian society is so secular that it's possible to "pass" as an atheist most of the time. Of course, I live in New England, and MDC often reminds me that my experience of "America" is through navy blue glasses, so I might be wrong about that third one. I live...
We just make it with soy or fish sauce at the end add to taste. First I wok any veggies and/or meats, remove from the wok. Add more oil and add cooked rice and stir fry until grains are separate and warmed through then add beaten eggs, veggies, etc mix well and add soy sauce to taste. If I use fish sauce I also have a bowl of lime wedges for people. Sometimes I add sesame oil or shri cha hot sauce. Just keep it simple.
Crisco is fake lard not real lard and that's why it shouldn't be used for bird feeders not anything to do with trans fats. Real suet or lard should be used for bird feeders in areas where you have snow fall and cold winters. It helps wild birds survive through the winter. I know I've read in my bird watching books that Crisco is not an acceptable substitute for suet. If you're not in an area with cold winters then suet has other problems besides not really being needed...