or Connect

Posts by lisalou

Quote: Originally Posted by NYCVeg In answer to your question...yes. In interviews I read with the director, he said they wanted the big, upbeat Hollywood ending, b/c that's what people want. He also said that he thinks the "heart" of the story is the relationship between Lyra and Iorek and that what the books are really "about" is an orphan girl forming a new family (e.g. with Iorek). Where did you read that? Because that definitely wasn't the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Arduinna I don't know, which is better. I know that I wasn't raised with anything other than Santa Christmas and Easter Bunny and it kinda sucks to not have been raised as part of a spiritual and religious community. And while I've converted officially once to a religion it is not the same to come to something as an adult as it is to be raised in it. It wasn't ever really part of my identity the way it is for someone raised in...
Silken tofu http://www.foodsubs.com/Dairyoth.html#heavy
Quote: Originally Posted by karina5 Regarding your 1st paragraph I C&P, I absolutely agree. That's what I think of w/ the BF'ing example. Regarding your 2nd paragraph I C&P, do you have any examples of those worst marketing failures? : I would love to see that (I mentioned somewhere in the thread that I am interested in marketing and all that...). I would really appreciate it! I'll have to see if I can find it. I know there were a couple...
Quote: Originally Posted by captain crunchy What about the other side though, when stereotypes based on statistical facts are useful? Like, I tell dd if she ever gets lost from me or daddy to find someone who "looks like grandmom" or someone who "looks like a mama with other boys and girls" -- so like an old lady or a mama with kids basically. Statistically, these would be the safest bets. Not that there aren't old ladies or mamas who are abusive...
Quote: Originally Posted by JSerene I'm enjoying this discussion; I think it's important to put a lot of thought in how you parent. My mom drilled it into my head that it was important to be myself and that it was not only okay to be different, but ideal. What became painfully apparent as I got older and grew into myself, so to speak, was that she wanted me to be different like her. She was/is very hostile to me actually being who I am. She always...
I also get annoyed when people use personal experience as the final proof statistics are wrong. Statistics aren't wrong but they way that they're used often are. Correlations are mistaken for cause and effect, etc, etc. For example it may be that menthol cigarettes are heavily promoted to POC and that's actually why they're more likely to smoke them rather than any intrinsic preference by POC. However, the only time this information is at all useful is if I need to market...
My 4 year old has had glasses since she was 3. She picked out her frames so that's really helped in getting her to like them. Also, she could see better when she got them. When she first got them she spent hours looking at her books with new eyes. She's farsighted. The good thing about catching it early is that she's a very good candidate for growing out of it. The doctor said she'll probably no longer need glasses at some point between the ages of 7-12.
They're going to teach dd to do it at her preschool. I think 3 is the age you can start. I know in the LL Bean catalog as well their earliest x-c ski package is for ages 3 and up. But I also ditto the above post.
I read this. I don't think I have much advice to offer but I couldn't read it and not respond. DD is 4 and only weighs maybe 30lbs tops. But she tracks on her curve so our doctors aren't too worried. It sounds like food has become a huge battle for you. Personally I never thought it was a fight worth having esp since it can set you up for later issues. Even at 4 I can still get dd to eat more if I feed her. I don't do it often but if it works. There are days when all she...