or Connect

Posts by lisalou

Quote: Originally Posted by supervee Does the NCLB really favor rich, white, English-speaking kids? I'm not particularly trying to start a debate of that, and I'm a little too fried at this moment to think it through properly, but did this strike anyone else as off somehow? I can't articulate how right now. It actually does b/c if your school is deemed failing then your funding gets cut off. You don't get extra funding. The whole purpose of...
http://www.cafepress.com/edchange/328409 http://www.cafepress.com/cp/search/s...&cfpt=&x=0&y=0 I like the teachers not testers one personally. I completely agree with you on NCLB. And also agree find an organization in your state that's trying to get rid of NCLB or start one.
There was an article I saw the other day about one of Bob Geldof's children hating their name and how this practice of creative naming for the sake of creating naming needed to stop. Her name is Peaches with six other names attached. I'm surprised there was no comment from her sister Fifi Trixibelle or something like that. When I saw Kharlotte I immediately thought of Arabic b/c there's a letter kh that sounds kind of like trying to say ka from the back of your throat...
I think the problem is really the basic tenant of each religion - Christians believe Jesus was the messiah and son of God and Muslims believe there is no God but God so the idea of a son of God is not really part of Islam. Otherwise since Islam already believes Jesus was a great prophet if you were to go a more gnostic route in Jesus belief or just didn't believe in the divinity of Jesus but liked everything else and wanted to add in Islam wouldn't that just make you a...
I think mini boden has very cute clothes although we don't own any, yet - http://www.bodenusa.com/ I like Hanna they do last well. I've never had a problem with LL Bean clothes or Land's End. I always buy on sale from all three though. I did have problems with Land's End overalls. I hope they change this but currently if you buy the overalls in a size 2T and up there are no snaps on the legs so to change diapers you need to completely remove the overalls. Which sucks...
I'd probably add enough rice so it looks like there's a little more rice than meat, chicken broth and pine nuts if I had them some allspice and cinammon and simmer until rice was cooked. It's a modified middle eastern dish or the univeral middle eastern stuffing called hushway. But I'm feeling fairly lazy today.
You need to start looking at cheaper cuts of meat. Use whole chickens rather than chicken breast. You can usually get 2-3 meals from a whole chicken that's the same cost as boneless, skinless breasts for one meal. Look into cheaper cuts of beef. They'll have to be cooked longer or braised but you can do beef stew or beef stir fries with beef stew meat. Buy roasts and such that can be turned into more than one meal. All of that said, there is no way you can do a...
Quote: Originally Posted by mama_b What's wrong with boneless, skinless chicken breasts? : That's almost the only kind of meat I prepare at home. They really don't taste like anything. They don't connect you back to the animal they come from. For me, personally, if you're going to eat meat you need to acknowledge where it comes from and respect the animal it comes from. To me, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the epitome of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by thismama I have been a vegetarian for 15 years, and I went to a naturopath this week who told me to eat steak. I've tried twice... it's hard to choke it down, the idea and taste of it make me feel sick, but I feel like my body does need it. Any suggestions for getting used to meat again? Well steak wouldn't be the place I'd start. I probably wouldn't start with beef at all. But if that's what you need to do I'd start...
I was lacto-ovo for about 3 years for ethical reasons. I had read Georges Bataille's "Theory of God" and realized a lack of a connection between me and the earth. I never thought it was wrong to eat meat per se, I just tought and continue to think the way we treat animals in factory farming and the concept that God made us lord of all creation and thus able to wipe it out was kind of wrong. About a year in I had a strong craving for a hamburger and had one and got sick....