or Connect

Posts by Mountaingirl3

My daughters are both sensitive (and fairly sheltered--no reception TV). They both loved LH at five, and even more at six. We did stop after Plum Creek. Another good series for them has been The Lighthouse Family by Cynthia Rylant (great art). Simple, gentle stories mostly about relationships between characters. We adore Charlotte's Web by E.B. White--illustrations by Garth Williams. Girls identified with Fern's love of animals right away. Does deal with...
Wanted to add that our ds is intact, 2 1/2 with never a penis problem. We don't even wash with soap. Just let him play in the tub! He looks so right to me that I forget that circ exists anymore. My circ'd dh started out like yours, but I had the benefit of this being our third child (first two were girls). By the time our first dd was a month old, he had fallen in love. He was almost as protective and compassionate as I was. You realize that this baby is a whole...
I agonized, too. For the first two years after the birth of our third, I went back and forth on having another. But the feeling has finally faded. I think it's because they require more effort and true attention as they get older. Our kids are amazing, healthy and fun, but they need their parents a lot! The first struggles with math, migraines and nightmares, the second needs a lot of one-on-one to deal with high energy, and the toddler wants me to play just with him...
Thanks for this thread, everyone! Great ideas. I love YA fantasy. Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword and The Hero's Crown are so good that they deserve yet another mention. Beauty, her original version, is also wonderful. One of Lloyd Alexander's series has a great female character: The Beggar Queen, The Kestrel, and Westmark. No magic but set in a medieval other world, adventure plus life philosopy, very well written, and character growth. Someone mentioned...
Three kids, all vaxed. Plus, I'm Rhneg, so Rhogam in the womb. In a combined 14 years of life, no chronic health problems, no allergies, one ear infection, antibiotics used twice. We do our best to minimize other potential environmental triggers: all organic food, live in semi-rural area, natural fibers in home, fight for better laws restricting pollutants in air/water. It's hard when you realize that even breast milk has chemicals it shouldn't (although still...
It sounds like you will be able to resolve this one. It's good that you're giving yourselves lots of time to keep talking it out. Dh and I have only had one super difficult issue disagreement in our marriage (about moving, not circ). We had to take breaks and just be together and have fun and get back to a positive place, before we could discuss it again. When there is so much emotion involved, it's smart to find an objective third party, ie counselor. If it...
I wrote too. I don't watch her show but love her magazine. Now, I won't buy it. If she gets lots of letters, maybe she'll have to pay attention. Usually, Oprah is pretty good at thinking outside the box of American culture.
s I'm sorry I can't think of anything you could do in less than a week. Have grandparents visit soon?
Favs dh and artsy friends give me crap about: Something to Talk About (Julia Roberts, Dennis Quaid) Aeon Flux (actually, no crap from dh about this one) Ella Enchanted Parent Trap Sabrina (both versions--Audrey Hepburn and Harrison Ford) Now and Then (probably no one else ever saw this) Gigi And the popular: Cutting Edge, Shag and Bring it on! Truly BAD, but love 'em anyway: Stargate Overboard (Goldie Hawn) Great ideas on this thread!
For me, the best thing to do when I'm intensely angry is walk away. I need to be by myself, often just for a minute, so that calmness and rationality can return. There is no point in expressing my anger when my brain has been hijacked by it. I need to let the emotion pass so I can think about how to solve the problem behind it. The kids and dh know to remind me: "Mommy you're using a harsh voice." Or, "We speak kindly in this family." This weekend, I told dh, "I'm...