or Connect

Posts by dis

I turn and topstitch my soakers. What I do is try and keep as much bulk out of the seamline as possible. I usually use zorb and flannel, so what I do is sew a strip of Zorb to the middle of a piece of flannel, away from the edges, so that when I turn and topstitch I'll have at most one layer of Zorb being caught in the topstitching. If that makes ANY sense. It works really well because Zorb doesn't fray, so you can zig zag it into place. does that make ANY sense?
Quote: Originally Posted by MittensKittens Toxic fumes don't sound to nice, I think I will skip that! Can't get Gerber products here either. Any other suggestions? Honestly, if you want the waterproof material, it's best to bite the bullet and just get some PUL. When I think of the money I spent trying to save money avoiding PUL...well, let's just say I should have gone ahead and gotten the PUL six months sooner, I'd have saved myself a lot of...
you can get something called 'D Drops', which is D in a carrier oil and has the RDA in a single drop - you put one drop on your nipple prior to nursing, the baby doesn't even notice it, unlike things like poly-vi-sol where you have to give a whole dropperful and it's loaded with flavouring and god knows what else. On the D subject, the more I read the more I think many of us, including exclusively breastfed babies, should be supplementing with D. I supplemented my...
I just bought a new Janome 423s after Christmas at a floor model clearance. Specifically I got it because it's all metal - the problem with most low-end machines these days is they make the machines mostly out of plastic, which doesn't hold up very well. I am extremely happy with it. For a new entry level machine, I'd be looking at a Janome or a Kenmore (as Kenmores are made by Janome).
My first quilt was a strip-pieced Trip Around the World, which was a great introduction to quilting. I was using a book that I think it out of print now, but here's some websites with instructions: http://www.quiltville.com/tatw.shtml http://www.ehow.com/how_2343553_trip...rld-quilt.html http://lisatutmanoglesby.typepad.com...round-the.html Do you have a rotary cutter and mat? quilting is MUCH easier if you have those, it makes cutting out the pieces so much faster...
Quote: Originally Posted by ShareBear Well, if I didn't have soft water, then surely I wouldn't be getting suds of this magnitude with so little detergent, right? I thought that soft water produced more suds, hard water less. Yes, because hard water traps the detergent in the fibres. Still, it might be worth a shot if you can get ahold of some Calgon - your water might be soft enough to produce suds and for the buildup to take awhile, but there...
I really think you need to try a different detergent. I have read so many stories where people have problems with free & clear detergents. Are you absolutely, 100% sure you have soft water? It might be worth running a load of diapers with some Calgon water softener added (and nothing else), just to see what happens. Last time I did that you'd think I'd added bubble bath to the wash so many suds came up! And I thought I had soft water - apparently not as soft as I thought!
Non wicking layers against the skin give my babies terrible diaper rash, so I only use wicking layers. That's my babies, though.
I am assuming you are taking about the pliers for plastic resin snaps that Serena sells? I haven't tried them (I have a press), but my understanding is that the pliers work well and are really great if you are just sewing diapers for your own use. The end result isn't quite as professional as that you get with the press (I've seen photos comparing the sockets in particular, with a press they will be centered every time, but it's hard to get them centered with the pliers,...
I used hook and loop on my newborn diapers, and it really wasn't an issue. I don't recall DD2 ever waking up because of the sound, and I found hook and loop was GREAT during those long newborn nights of frequent changes! I usually use snaps on my diapers but when you are changing so often I don't want to mess around with snaps; hook and loop is fast and easy.