or Connect

Posts by sparklefairy

I didn't wash my kids' hair regularly until recently (now it's 1-3x/week) and it never looked greasy. It had an "unfinished" look, though. I loved the "sunshine" smell it would get that was all them. It was never the knotted tangled mess that my mother seemed to think it was : but it wasn't magazine cover perfection either.
Quote: Originally Posted by annT I'm struggling with what at times feel like the unrealistic or idealistic assumptions of folks like Alfie Kohn and Becky Bailey. In theory, I agree with everything they say, and I wish I could be that parent 24 hours a day. But I'm human, and there are limits to my capacities for patience, humor, empathy, etc. And I'm not sure I see those limits reflected in many GD books, or an acknowledgment of the need for...
Quote: Originally Posted by lalaland42 Teaching college math is depressing. I actually loved the students but no matter how much time I put into helping them, most of them still failed. My last quarter, 15 out of 45 students showed up to the final (all of them passed except for 2) but that left 30 students I had to fail. -I got stuck teaching the weeder courses so some of the students realized they did not really want to go into nursing as bad as they...
Quote: Originally Posted by lalaland42 For full disclosure, I used to teach college math (you can boo and hiss now). I tend to believe that elementary schools students should get only a small amount of homework a day (30 minutes?) until they get quite a bit older. I am currently planning on homeschooling because I think too much time is spent in class and the time in class is broken up into choppy 1 hour bits. I would like for my daughter to study a...
Quote: Originally Posted by TinkerBelle Actually, he can do the worksheets without any assistance, really. I am around if he needs me, which is rare. And the reading is my idea, not the teacher's. My son has had reading problems. He understands what he is reading, but is choppy when he reads. I believe the more he reads, the better he will get, and reading is one of the most important things. If you cannot read, you have a harder time functioning in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by firstkid4me Since being on MDC, I've tried doing GD (I admit, I haven't read any books) mainly because I was abused as a child by my stepfather, and I don't want to do it to my child. Growing up, I took out my frustrations (from being hit or yelled at by my stepfather) on my half-brother (he's my stepfather's son.) I understand the psychological aspects of why I would lose my temper in the way I did on my half-brother, and...
[QUOTE=Brigianna One of the (many) problems I have with increased academics (homework, deskwork, tests) in the early grades is that at that age, so much is dependent on parents, and so much of parenting is influenced by social class. If Johnny gets bad grades in kindergarten because his mom works two jobs and can't help him with homework after school, that label of "problem child" will stay with him for the rest of his schooing years. I don't think teachers should...
Quote: Originally Posted by TinkerBelle My son has had some behavioral problems, and quite frankly, having a more structured schedule has helped him tremendously. This is our mom and son time, I feel that a half-hour to an hour is not much to ask for. I also think that if they start slow, that when they get to high school, and the real homework begins to come in, they will be used to it and have good study habits. I remember having 2-3 hours of...
I said both mostly because on is in 1/2 day K. I am open to homeschooling in the future, but we have an atypical school experience for now and I really need the time to build a future for all of us.
What a travesty! Can you speak with a supervisor? This is just WRONG. Edit: Okay, I reread that it was your CO-WORKER who said this and not the instructor, so I'm slightly less horrified. The co-worker's supervisor needs to know that s/he considers normal human nurturing and nutrition to be gross, though.