or Connect

Posts by sparklefairy

Quote: Originally Posted by TinkerBelle I think homework is fine. As long as you are not talking 6 hours worth or something like that. My son has about an hour of homework, then he is free to play or do whatever he wants until dinner time. How old is your son? For my 2nd grader and K kid, an hour every night would be excruciating.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=515453 I expressed some of my thoughts there. What do you think of homework? Time-wasting impingement on family evenings, stressful but necessary requirement or something you (or your child) couldn't do without? Is it a reason for homeschooling? Is there ever an age too young for homework? Time-wasting impingement on family evenings, for the most part. If we absolutely couldn't escape truly awful homework, I would...
Quote: Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds Just my oppinion, I think there should be no homework, don't we pay taxes to have the teachers tech our kids? I can remember so many times when I was in school i needed help with homework and there was either no one to help me or my parents did not understand my homework so could not help me. Or for example, math, that was and still is my biggest downfall, my parents would show me how to do it so i understood...
Quote: Originally Posted by fierymyst my response to "you're mean".... Yes I am, I went to Mean School and made straight "A"s.. Usuallly my girls would giggle and then say "no you're not mean mommy" Love it! I like to make up ridiculous examples of how mean I am that are totally untrue, like how I'm so mean I made them ride on the ski rack on the way to school, or I served them poop for breakfast. Or I say, "Why thank you! On my plannet, that...
Quote: Originally Posted by Vampyre500 Your 6 year old isn't quite old enough to have developed the empathy to understand that she is causing her little sister pain, I don't agree. My six year olds understand and understood this, and I remember grasping the concept as a six year old myself. Six year olds don't always have the self control to stop themselves in the moment and six year olds don't always care about causing others pain when they...
Tell them that when your child leaves for college, you will ONLY be early 40s -- lots of time to party, better budget for the good booze.
Quote: Originally Posted by desultory Jeannie -- my dh had some similar issues long ago. Here's what worked for me: 1) I declined to do his laundry, get his preferred food at the grocery, or do anything much for him at all. He was free to eat the meals that I cooked, but they were often not to his likeing. I stopped taking care to prepare his favorite meals, and stopped avoiding foods he didn't like. 2) I refused to fight with him. I used my...
Quote: Originally Posted by lauren I think one of the points that is trying to made is that the idea of 'punishment' in any respect is not necessarily the healthiest for the marriage. Now granted, his comments DEFINITELY are not either. Is there consideration of some type of counseling or heavy duty talk it out session to get to the bottom of these issues. Because usually they won't just go away on their own (his belief system is what it is.....so where...
Homeschooling for Excellence by the Colfaxes is a nice read of one homeschooling family's journey.
If my kids feel asleep in a sling, I was sometimes able to lay them down and slide out of the sling myself. Worked best for me with a Maya that I could easily adjust open a bit once they were laying down. I had difficulty with arthritis post partum because my silly immune system went haywire with pregnancy, so having some time to recover and stretch without the extra weight on my body was helpful.