or Connect

Posts by sparklefairy

Quote: Originally Posted by boongirl The worst that can happen, in my experience, is that the little homework section of the report card may not have a very positive grade on it. http://www.alfiekohn.org/index.html Or your child can be kept in from recess to work on it daily. I think this would be far worse! But then some schools already don't do recess anymore.
Interesting point! I did tear up a bit and was cut down as a result and I don't even know that the up tear happened but the down cut still affects me (I don't think it healed right.)
Quote: Originally Posted by Flor Two more things. SOMETIMES kids this age really don't realize they are being rude. I teach 7/8 grades and manners is a huge part of my lessons each day. Some know and choose, but I am always surprised when I tell them how their tone of voice/body language/word choice could be perceived as "rude" and they are surprised. They often change their way of asking/talking the next time. I hope to raise my bio kid (and...
Many will say they are supportive either because they want clients or they actually think that they are. I imagine some don't realize that we want support for exclusive breastfeeding, not just any breastfeeding at all. Asking when they suggest that moms suppliment with ABM and under what circumstances they suggest total weaning might or might not yield more revealing answers.
Quote: Originally Posted by mommycakes I was at the mall today and walked through the baby section at Nordstrom. I don't usually do this, I can't afford a thing there but sometimes it's fun to look. There were some cute little onsies and t-shirts on an end-cap. Many were in bad taste but one in particular made me so angry and sad. In pink lettering it said, "Does this diaper make my butt look fat?". Cute to some, I'm sure but it made me sick thinking...
Quote: Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama ITA, I never meet men who care if a woman NIPs. So many of them think thats what breasts are for! Its always women who have so many opinions on it This has not been my experience. When this came up at work years ago, it was a male coworker (can't think of him as a man, he was more of a silly overgrown boy in his early 20s) who started the complaining. I wish we'd had a BFiP law then. I was pregnant at...
Quote: Originally Posted by jackaroosmom I don't want my ds to be "labeled" a good boy or ugh, bad boy for his behavior. I want the behavior to be addressed when neccessary, without putting a judement on him. I believe labels have a lasting effect on children, especially when they are developing a sense of self. Imagine the self-fullfilling prophecy of a child told they are "bad" all the time! I have been reading Alfie Kohn for years and also don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Shonahsmom You don't have to order a pizza. If you make bread from scratch, then it'll be a piece of cake to make some pizza dough from scratch. And then set out a bunch of good ingredients and make a bunch of mini pizzas. Let him put whatever he wants on his. Make it fun. I did this with my dd last week and she had such a blast and said the pizza was the best she'd ever had. She also took a lot of pride in the fact that she...
Quote: Originally Posted by johub Envisoin this for example. You want your child to have a healthy breakfast. YOur child wants the ability to choose their own breakfast. You offer yogurt with fruit or scrambled eggs and fruit. Your child feels powerful that they get to choose what they want. Mom feels like she has controlled the situation because she did not offer a banana split. If the child has unlimited choices, he or she might choose the banana...
You had party plans already and MIL ignored them and took it upon herself to do the party? This is not the same as another holiday (so I wouldn't bring Thanksgiving, etc. into the mix). MIL had her kids and got to plan their parties; now it's your turn. It's ironic that in order to make sure FIL was include MOM got left out!?!? I think this is something for DH to "handle," though.