or Connect

Posts by eightyferrettoes

Quote: Originally Posted by kama'aina mama I don't want to make a huge derail but I find that interesting. I didn't vax because I didn't find the vax arguements convincing. For me not doing it was the default and I had to be convinced that the process had value... and I wasn't. Did you become convinced of the value of vaxs somehow or was vaxing simply your default position? I REALLY REALLY don't want to wade into a vax debate on MDC. I'm...
of COURSE it's classist. Everything in human society reflects classism in some way. Is it more reprehensible than any of the other numerous, never-ending, subtle ways in which the lower classes are generally snubbed to within an inch of their lives that the show may go on for the rest of us? I dunno. Anyway, I do think a degree can show a certain amount of ability to focus and commit to something long-term, especially something that requires a certain amount of...
But, anyway, my own working "definition" of what the minimum standard of acceptable parental care is rather on the low side, much to the dismay of many here on MDC.
Quote: Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog You can footnote anything. (1) And any source can be cited formally, regardless of how accurate it is. (2) If Mothering articles were subject to peer review, you might have a point, though. They are not. (3) Citations: 1) Bob Johnson, "Teh Intarwebs" 1998. 2) Protocols of the Elders of Zion 1901. 3) Personal correspondence with BSD 2007. ok, now, that's funny. : Er, I support parents making...
We cremated my DD, cuz they basically took her body APART for autopsies. And somehow I saw pictures; THAT's not something I needed, for sure. : doctors are bizarre. I like the green burial idea, myself. I want us to be buried in DH's family plot next to my DD's ashes and headstone, though, and the green burial is not an option there. Just want a single consolidated spot where the relatives can go to view their family history, if they like, and not have a bunch of people...
Anyway, I guess to me, it's kind of like anti-abortion folks who spend all this time talking about how how turrible-evil-bad it is that young women are faced with these hard reproductive/economic/ethical decisions that they would rather didn't exist. I'm always like, um, WHO, exactly, is going to shoulder the burden for all these children whose mothers aren't ready, and who don't even show any signs of wanting to be ready, for the sacrifices of parenting? I think...
Quote: Originally Posted by thismama "We" is the society, the culture. We need more respect, more support from grandparents in these situations, more laws re: the adoption industry to protect the rights of mothers and children, more social programs to provide practical and emotional support for young mamas, and to facilitate their creation of community. In this situation, though, where do you propose any of that come from? I know it is easy to...
Maybe it's a "special place to sit" thing? My friend's 3-year-old is obsessed with "little girl chairs." She would probably eat that vanity up. I should send her mom a link.
I read this thread, thinking, "now, it can't be THAT ugly." Then I looked. Oh, lord. : Er, I'd probably get it, if you got the 80 bucks, and the space to put it. Though there is nothing wrong with trying to get her fired up about an alternate gift, instead, something that will be more lasting and authentic and just generally less horrible to look at for the next couple of years. I still fondly remember a very hideous plastic My Little Pony castle, though....
Quote: Originally Posted by Treasuremapper The only thing worse than having dh not help with the laundry is having him "help" with the laundry. Gee, I could do tons of laundry too with his method. Just throw all the unsorted clothes you can find in the washer with lots and lots and lots of Shout and laundry detergent, then wash. After washing, partially dry, hey, good enough, even though damp, and throw in a pile on top of the dryer. Repeat with...