or Connect

Posts by eightyferrettoes

I would clean it, but I'm paranoid like that. I always clean the master-suite bathroom before my early intervention caseworker arrives. Just in case she needs to use the bathroom while someone else is in the downstairs bathroom and she is too desperate to wait and so she sees the mellowing yellow in the toilet and the toothpaste spatters on the sink and concludes that I really am a lazy wench. whoa, I have issues. Yeah, so just give it a quickie once-over....
Tonight we're having pasta w/salmon and swiss chard. mmmm.
Totally. It does take some practice to let down your guard and unwind, and that is completely natural after being "on" basically 24/7 for HOW many years now, mama? The constant "on-ness" is bad for your health, though, I am convinced. I just went overnight with DH to a little local resort (which, I know, that's not for everyone.) But it took seriously at least two or three hours to stop wanting to call the sitter every 30 minutes. She asked if she should refrigerate...
I just wanted a space to do the work I needed to do, without a lot of bother from outsiders. And a skilled safety net in case of emergency, because I wasn't prepared to do the risk evaluation and crash course on emergency childbirth that UC would require for me. Homebirth with a DEM was the way to go for me. Mostly, birth to me is about getting a sizable person out of a tight spot, and I just need a decent workspace in which to do it my way.
That's exactly what I did. Same scenario with my older child's birth-- broken water "we have to induce" blah blah blah. I knew there had to be a better way. My homebirth 18 months later was WAY WAY WAY easier, BTW. Pitocin SUCKS! Good luck!
I miss mine, too. I worked in the same field as DH does, so I still hear about all the goings-on, and sometimes I feel sad that I am missing out on all of it. I can still envision myself belonging to the organization-- haven't lost the part of myself that feels most "at home" in the work zone. But it's also one of those jobs that requires a lot of travel, and it can't be done part-time. It was such a big part of my life for such a long time. Still is! I know if I...
I don't usually post here, but... I had a homebirth that wasn't like, ecstatic or anything. Was smooth, fairly easy, nothing untowards happened. I guess I'd been reading too much Ina May or something, though, because even though everything went great, I didn't "feel" anything special, yk? It was a hard day's work, is all. Just like my hospital birth, I was like, "ok, hi, I don't know you" when they gave me the baby. Not much special immediate connection, you know?...
sounds a lot like my SIL. I've never even met the gal, but my mom relayed the whole predictable story... I kept punctuating the tale with "gah!" "WHY?!" and "omfg, that's so stupid." For weeks before labor, they had been telling her that her baby was going to be "HUGE." Like, over ten pounds. And she was going to deliver early, and they knew WTF they were talking about, cuz they're doctors, right!? She wound up with a C-section past her due date. And the baby weighed...
Anyway, I feel that there is an increasing swing back toward tolerance. REAL tolerance. I think we collectively went through a big harsh period of political and philosophical polarization, where the "traitor liberals" professed to hate the "stupid fundies" and the "hippies" railed against the "mainstream." And vice-versa, for sure! Makes it hard for local people to band together in any meaningful way. I think it has finally begun to run its course. I know one of...
we have a default village of sorts-- and no, it ain't always pretty. Gets to be a "whose bed have yer boots been under" sort of thing, pretty fast. But I find all of that rather amusing, having been raised in much the same way. I enjoy "village gossip," take it all with a big fat grain of salt, and don't take it too personally when people gossip about me in return. That's how the game is played. You do have to overlook some things. Like, seriously, if someone is...