or Connect

Posts by eightyferrettoes

I'm probably the most out-there nursing woman I know IRL; I wear tank tops a lot and just pull the boob out over the top. Or unbutton my dress. I hardly ever see fit to "cover up" in any significant way. It never even occurred to me to think it weird till my FIL kind of sputtered about it while we were eating out one day. Whatever. Sometimes women will tell me they wish they could be that "bold." I don't feel bold, though. And actually, commenting about it makes me...
No. The idea of a "bad character" like Satan is as ridiculous to me as the idea of a Big All-Seeing Daddy in the Sky. That said, I do think there are things inside human beings that lead us into disorganized thinking. Whatever it is that makes people kill their own children, rape each other, steal more than their share of the community's resources... I reckon that thing could be called "Satan." I don't prefer to think of it that way, though.
Yeah, I really don't understand how people can think that having half your nerve endings cut off would NOT affect your sexual experience. I mean, circed or not, most men find sex to be a "10" on the scale of pleasurable experiences, but a cut man is obviously going to have a much narrower range of sensation than his intact brethren. Whatever, though.
My son is almost 2, and nary a single problem. My daughter, OTOH, we're taking to see a urologist for a circ consult... nah, just kidding.
There is no such thing as a "bad" or "selfish" reason to choose not to reproduce, IMO. I mean, what is that all about, anyway? I hear ya on the DH issues. I'd really kind of like a third baby, but DH is opposed to having kids past the age of 40 (he's 38 now) and I NEED some space to breathe after having two babies in under two years. By the time I think I'd be ready to have #3, he'll have passed his self-imposed Age Forty Barrier. But in a lot of ways,...
Aw, VM, I'm sorry. That's messed up. Seems like anytime the "respect your elders" line gets trotted out, it's because the elders know they don't have the truth on their side. :
Your husband sounds very unappreciative and like he needs a reality check. My suggestion: LEAVE THE HOUSE on Saturdays. Without the kid. He will not "give" you time to do what you want to do, so you need to unapologetically take it sometimes. I don't think a man like that is going to see the light until he gets some hands-on time. FWIW, I cook when I feel up to cooking. My husband knows that we're going to eat pasta several times a week, and he'd be happy if I...
Quote: Originally Posted by lolalola The double standard in play here is really the fact that this discussion never takes place in the context of fathers. We never question whether 'working for wages' can/should be optional for fathers. That totally pisses me off. When I see threads about these fathers working 70, 80 hour weeks and being out of town all the time, I fight back the snarky "why'd he even have kids if he wasn't going to raise them?"...
Quote: Originally Posted by pinky but I'll never think feminism has gone too far as long as I regularly see threads on this board about SAHMs getting an "allowance" from their husbands or otherwise not being equal partners in their marriages. Yeah. That. I do think about how "dropping out" of the workforce affects other women; it's complicated. In a nutshell, it was really a nonchoice; for a variety of reasons, it was not possible for me and...
Exactly, Viewfinder! I think it's so important to see social movements in the context they arose from. They always seem to be "against" something else that is in the mainstream. And years or generations later, we tend to forget what that "something else" even was. Attachment Parenting, even, arose as a reaction against that hyper-scheduling, low-touch kind of parenting that was sanctioned in the mainstream at the time AP started becoming a movement of sorts. Now it's...