or Connect

Posts by EXOLAX

Hey elanorh!  We have one doing 2nd grade Language Arts.  It's different from K and 1st (and 3rd + as well) in that it is listed as one course, "Language Arts". 1st grade is the last year for phonics and in 2nd they have an individual grammar book and weekly spelling lists all under the LA umbrella.  Mondays LA lesson might include a new spelling list, work in the grammar, usage and mechanics book, and reading.  Another day you might have review of spelling words,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Hopefulmama Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great curiculum and we are very happy with PA Cyber. I guess I should contact her IS and ask for advice or what options we have. Has anyone had a similar experience? Have you moved through the curriculum at a faster pace? I'm not familiar with Little Lincoln. Sorry I can't be of help. We use k12. Quote: Originally Posted by MyTwoAs I finally...
Quote: Originally Posted by elanorh : It looks like I can't just default what they expect the lessons to take, timewise, while entering attendance (ugh). It just doesn't look like it's going to be as quick and easy to use. If you click on the "Enter Time" field boxes in the new OLS it will default to the minimum time for each course. It _will_ auto pop! That's what it does for me at least! Hi to the new and old 'faces'! This is our...
Heh, my youngest asks for time away from me. We try to indulge by creating opportunities for her to have her independance. It helps both of us.
Quote: Originally Posted by A&A "At the University of New South Wales, Gross conducted a longitudinal study of 60 Australians who scored at least 160 on IQ tests beginning in the late '80s. Today most of the 33 students who were not allowed to skip grades have jaded views of education, and at least three are dropouts. "These young people find it very difficult to sustain friendships because, having been to a large extent socially isolated at school, they...
Sounds like you are going through a lot. What about starting with looking up books in the library in the fiction section (sorted by author)? Also, re-shelving books in a library can be a great way to extend onto it once they understand the system. I hope one of these ideas helps.
The term "borrowing" is being phased out because it implies that something will be 'given back' or 'replaced' and that is inaccurate. Borrowing and regrouping are the same though and the terms are still used interchangeably. There are different ways to regroup and it may just be that you have to find the way that makes most sense to him. What types of things have you tried? Unifex cubes can be really helpful but if he has a firm understanding of coin value...
Quote: Originally Posted by Satori Does anyone know what the STI Elluminate's are? Trying to figure out why dd was assigned to one, I have no clue what it is and she's not below grade level so I don't think its the title I program. Did you ever get this figured out? I have not heard of it before.
Quote: Originally Posted by cbyrum They only do scantron tests for 2nd grade and above here. I've been arguing with them about this since my current K student is already doing 3rd grade math. I've been told to request they test him(once he is assigned a teacher) so he can be placed in a more appropriate level since 1st grade math (and reading) is obviously not the correct lvl. But I've been told worst case he should be able to just take the end of...
Quote: Originally Posted by magnolia_mama I am a little surprised to hear that so many are disappointed with k12. Is there anyone who is satisfied with the curriculum? We are very pleased with our experience with our k12 public charter. I am an unschooler at heart but have classical learners. I think the program is sufficiently challenging while allowing children to move at their own pace and I find it to be incredibly flexible. We can choose...