or Connect

Posts by The4OfUs

And it's difficult to navigate when one party refuses to change course with the situation at hand.
As a person who as an adult often also stuffs her own desires to avoid conflict with a more loud, persistent, emotional person, I do NOT want my son learning that this is the way to do it, to give in and wait the other person out until they get bored.  I don't want that to become *normal* to him, so that it's his default.  I want them *both* to learn how to compromise.     Let me qualify - if they wee 2 and 4, or even maybe 3 and 5 that would be different and I'd tend to...
    Do you know what that solution was, because I have a dynamic here where the younger child has such determination and tunnel vision that she is just unable to compromise at all, and won't listen to the older child at all...and when I try to help them work it through she still is unwilling to consider any option except her original idea, a lot of the time.  So the same scenario happens, the older eventually gives in and gives up, a majority of the time because the...
Sometimes I feel like I was given my daughter to make *me* a better person.  She has caused me to grow as a person more in 6 years than I did in the previous 32. 
  This, and/or if your have a pediatrician or group you can go to to get their "approval" that your son is FINE NOT DOING THESE THINGS.  OMG, I would not be able to deal with what your family is putting you and your son through.  I am sorry you both have to  deal with that.  :(   About as mainstream as you can get, from PBS, about 2 year olds: http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopmenttracker/two/index.html  , in particular:  " They also make a variety of scribble marks...
I've always found my kids listen/respond better when I tell them what TO do instead of "don't.....".  So something like, "Don't play with the doors, someone's fingers could get pinched"  it becomes, "Doors stay open please!"  "Don't throw the blocks, they might hurt someone" becomes, "Blocks go in hands or on the floor to build."  "Don't jump off the furniture" becomes, "Let's go jump off the instead!"   My kids are loophole...
Re:  the potty training, here's what finally worked for both my bright, not-motivated-by-rewards kids:  I didn't *ask* if they had to go potty, or ask if they wanted to try, or ask if they would sit for me...or even tell them they had to sit for me.  I basically reminded them, a few times an hour in the beginning (and dragged a little potty seat with us from room to room), "Remember, WHEN you have to go potty, THIS is where it goes."  (and point to/walk them over to the...
I sometimes gave my son a spoon to hold in each hand, he didn't tend to put those in his own mouth as much, and it was something he was gong to learn to do anyway.....
FWIW, we wound up using flip-up straw cups, instead of a traditional sippy with a spout.   I had tried traditional spout sippies, but DS just wasn't getting it and after a few days I realized it was ridiculous and he should just learn how to use a straw.  People of all ages drink from straws, so it made sense to just teach that.  My husband said, "You can't teach a baby to drink form a straw" - and I said, "Just watch me."  :P      I started them at about 6 months...