or Connect

Posts by The4OfUs

Even at that age, I would say things like, "You're upset.  This screaming is not OK.  I'll be happy to help you/change it/etc. when you ask me politely."  And then wait for them to do it.  If they seemed to need help with the words, I'd wait a minute and say, "You could say,  Can you change the music please mommy?"  and help them out.   Agreeing with those that say if you "give in" even one time out of 10, they'll keep waiting for that 11th time every time and do it...
I'm sure if you're a book junkie, he's not missing out on quality books.  I wouldn't sweat it too much.  As a kid I don't think we went to the library regularly, but we had a mountain of books, and I was a voracious reader.  
I will agree that swimming has been the ONLY thing that tires my kids out.  Not playgrounds, not parties, not other activities.  But on days we go swimming for a couple hours of horseplay in the water, they are sooooo much calmer in the evenings.  I *just* discovered this this summer - before then they were so hyper and not swim-teachable, I'd not dare take them to a pool alone.  But now, I plan on buying a swim membership at our Y for them, and a regular membership for...
  This sounds SO much like my daughter.  She turned 6 in June.  In the recent past she has started asking me when we're out places, 'Why are people staring at me?"  and I've given her various kind of nice, noncommital answers.  But last week we were out to dinner and waiting to be seated, and she asked me again; it had been a long, somewhat challenging day and I said (not meanly, but honestly and a little wearily) "Probably because you've been bouncing almost nonstop...
Another thought:  When I am on my A+ game of keeping them away from dairy, artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and junky/fast food, and reduce their wheat/grain intake, things are WORLDS better.  I'm not sure where you fall on this topic, but my kids are definitely two that show behavior issues with some foods.  And the above are typical culprits.
Totally agree with the above.  My children are both like this - they can tell you our house rules, they even follow them more now that they're 6 and 8, but they still are very low on the impulse control scale, and very high on the energy and curiosity scale, for their ages...ESPECIALLY at home, and when out in public - when with other people in charge of them in classes, they are DELIGHTFUL.  In fact, they are both very bright, delightful children.  They are just...
    This - and/or if I didn't have someone to watch him and didn't want to punish the other kids because he couldn't go, he could come, but he'd have to sit on the bench with me and read or draw/color instead of getting to play, the next few times we went.  He could prove to me he understood the impact of his actions by staying near me and responding when I called to him both at home and at other outings, and after a few days' worth of showing appropriate behavior there,...
That's a pretty good point - come to think of it, I didn't let my kids out unsupervised in the back yard together for more than a few minutes until the youngest was 4, so the oldest (more impulsive, more risk taker) was 6.  To that point I was either just inside the door where they were in my line of sight, or was in and out with them like, I was outside at least once every 5 min, or I just hung out with them.     And....don't ask what my house looked like until just...
  I have to almost constantly remind myself of this, lest I start to wish I had obedient robot children.
 I do this too sometimes, but I have to watch and be very conscious of my tone (channel robot Zen mommy) because it gets very sarcastic/snarky coming out of my mouth, very easily.         WHYYYYYYYY do you THINK I don't want you standing on the office chair and spinning in circles?  Could it be....oh, I don't know, because the last time you ignored me and did it you broke the monitor and got hurt?  YEP, that's PROBABLY why.