or Connect

Posts by The4OfUs

Grit your teeth and remember it will be over by 7pm!     No, but seriously, I didn't mind it really after the first week or so getting used to it.  We didn't have to be HOME FOR NAPTIME in the afternoon so could do more things, and I had the WHOLE EVENING QUIET.  It was actually quite nice.    One thing I *should* have done, and advise other moms of early nap stoppers, is to continue to keep "quiet time" and have them relax on their own with a quiet activity for an...
She sounds like my daughter, though a couple steps more intense than mine.  Right now I'm slowly working through 2 books with her, and we're both really liking them:   What To Do When You Grumble Too Much   and    How To Take The Grrr Out Of Anger   Now, I previewed the books and kind of tailored them to her personality and needs; some of it might feel simplistic with a very gifted child, but on the other hand she needs help managing these emotions, so...
I was *just* at a children's poetry recitation yesterday, and right at the end, the very last kid up (after 38 other kids), a toddler in the front row HAD ENOUGH.  It started with a whine, and within 15 seconds as the mom tried to gently shush the kiddo it was to a full on rager - a screaming rager as she carried the kiddo out the emergency exit as quickly as quickly as she could (maybe another 15 seconds that probably felt like an eternity to her) and we heard them...
I've been slowly working through "What to do when you grumble too much" and "How to take the Grrr out of Anger" with my own little nearly-7-year-old honey badger girl, and we have both found them each helpful in different ways.
Sounds just like my daughter at that age.  She's almost 7 now, and much, much more even...though she still has a fiery temper, she listens to direction better and is able to talk things out/not do such crazy things all the time.  Quite literally, almost every one of the bullet points you typed out happened in my house, too, with her; I won't type them all out here, since you summarized pretty well.    I would advise to actually NOT get into battles of wills with him...
ME TOO.
  Nod.    My last sleepover was probably when I was ohhh, 14-ish? Teenage sleepovers are not a requirement for a fulfilled teenhood.  I had close friendships that last to this very day, (nearly 25 years !) ; and a serious boyfriend at the time (that did not last - ha!)  and made it through hanging out, going home at midnight and sleeping in my own bed. Shrug.  
  I may be projecting/not giving (my?) kids enough credit....but with as low as their impulse control still is at their ages (almost 7 and 9 but working a couple years behind that), and the common "maybe that happened to someone else but not me/I'm invincible" thread that runs through humanity and seems to be especially concentrated in (many) teenagers, not to mention the actual research that suggests that teenagers brains are still underdeveloped in various...
  Hoo hoo hoo, boy.....   I've had 2 kids.  The first one made me feel like I was the BOMB, AP was the BOMB, and I had it alllllllllll figured out.  The second one took all that, flipped it, and reversed it.  She brought me to my knees and humbled me.  Same gene pool, same parenting, WAY different kid.  I used a leash on her for about 6 months when the other options were causing lots of drama and grief.  My concern was not necessarily her vanishing into the ether - it was...
When this happened with our kiddos (took more than 45 min to fall asleep for nap, needed 7+ hours between morning wake and nap, and 7+ hours between nap wakeup and bedtime), we just ditched naps - and they were each just barely 2 when it happened here - but it was a matter of net hours of sleep not being enough when they napped.  It was hairy for a few weeks with the transition, but instead of netting between 9-10 hours (NOT enough at that age!  They'd sleep like...