or Connect

Posts by The4OfUs

I think this is more a case of, if you *don't* want your partner to touch you, for whatever reason, that that's OK and their desire to touch you does not override your right to not be touched.  Even if they're your spouse.  I don't think anyone in this thread means that their spouse or partner has to say, "Can I hold your hand?" when they're on the couch together, or, "May I goose you?" while they walk by.  I think it's more a right of refusal if you're not in the mood...
I go with "some things are only for grown up people" - like drinking, and driving, and voting, and - fill in whatever family values you have.....you catch my drift. It's more than just that sentence, but the convos happen organically so I don't have a script or anything.   Edit - it usually involves some form of indicating that it's a complicated issue and involves grownup feelings and responsibilities, and that as they grow and learn about life they'll be ready to...
  Not to beat a dead horse, but my never spanked second born was and is a fiery child.  Strong willed, intense.  Tantrums, snatching things, biting, scowling and shouting at strangers; from 2-3+ years old, you name it, I was embarrassed by it (until I realized it wasn't my "fault", and I was doing what I could do help her process/outgrow it).  All the stuff you're saying, for real.  All I could do was prevent it as much as possible by shadowing her when I could, be...
    Agree with these bits, especially.    Both of my GD, never spanked children (heck at that point we were completely nonpunitive with them) went through aggressive stages between 18 months and 3 yrs....my son hit for several months, my daughter bit and kicked for at least 6 months.  It's developmentally normal (especially with a preverbal, new sibling, spanking etc) - not acceptable, and not like you just let it happen, but it's not necessarily a problem with...
Again, I'm totally with mammal_mama.
mammal_mama, I am totally with you.     I would eventually be OK with my kids knowing their half sibling, but in this particular situation, I would NOT be OK with "every family is different, some daddies have a kid by more than one mom and you have a new sister!" because in this particular situation it's NOT normal.....the OP had NO expectation that there would another child introduced into her family, birthed by another woman.  Yes, it happened.  And yes, she...
When my kids were going to school, they would get, every day, and ate 90+% of it, 90+% of the time:   - 1/2 a sandwich, or a lettuce wrap, or a rollup of lunchmeat/pepperoni + just a few crackers  - 1/2 an apple, or a few strawberries or cherries or grapes - a pile of bell pepper strips, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and cukes  - a very small serving of crunchy - chips, pretzels, graham bunnies, etc. ( fit into a 1/2 cup size container)   - water bottle...
I cannot even fathom that.  That's triple the mortgage on my 3 BR, comfortable house.  It's more than my COLLEGE TUITION was in the early '90s.  
  This was our experience, too - my kids went to a "Junior" class from 4-7 years old, and every week they were reminded that karate is NOT about kicking and punching your siblings/friends/classmates, AT.ALL, and in fact that was disrespectful to the concept of karate entirely.  They had a pledge they recited every class, with a similar message and pledge about respecting themselves and others.
My kids LOVE checklists.  Takes me (and much of the struggle) out of the equation.  I printed up a checklist of stuff they needed to do every day, laminated it, and gave them it on a clipboard with a dry erase marker.  We go through phases of using it and not using it, but when we use it, things go so much more smoothly.  Mine are 6-1/2 and almost 9 now, but I started this first when DD was 4 and DS was 6 (DD's were pictures since she wasn't reading then).   I would...