or Connect

Posts by OboePlayerMom

My DD, who is almost 6, dealt with this problem starting after turning 5.  She is very sensitive to watching or hearing people eat, and she really gets grossed out if she sees food on someone's face.  It started pretty soon after she got sick (had a throw-up bug) - even though she got over the illness, it seemed to heighten her sensitivity to these issues.  She really had trouble in school at snack time, and ended up not eating snack for several weeks, which affected her...
Can MIL spend some time with your daughter? Take her to a local Children's Museum, or a new playground? I think you're right about your older DD feeling left out, so having other adults step in and treat her special will be helpful to you. You can't do everything for both children right now, and it sounds like the baby needs more attention from you. Then maybe one day when DH is home, you can have a special date with your DD. Have you enlisted her help in helping you...
My DD (almost 5) has been wearing glasses since she was 3. She has pink wire framed glasses with the flexible hinge, and she has really handled them well. She did have a pair completely destroyed when they fell off at pre-school and another child stepped right on them. We had to wait at least two weeks for the replacement glasses, which seems awfully long to me in our instant world. We will get a second pair for her before school starts this fall to have on hand in...
My DS is almost 7, and he is *finally* wiping himself after a bm. He hates messes, and I guess poop was just too messy for him! We use a reward system (poker chips), so he knows he'll get a chip if he takes care of everything by himself in the bathroom. That has worked great for getting him to take care of things. We also have him go to the bathroom after dinner, so his system is used to having a bm in the evenings. Generally, he goes to the bathroom when he gets up...
Khaki pants lace up boots Leather jacket or dark short-waisted jacket collared shirt with buttons The hat is the tough thing, because when I think of Amelia Earhart, I envision the aviator hat and goggles. I don't know if you could make something like that or not. You can probably pull the rest of the costume together from your closets, but maybe you can look online for the aviator hat and goggles.
I've seen them at Toys R Us right near the front with the summer toys.
Family dinners can be fun, but in our house it's all about keeping the youngest involved in conversation. We take turns asking each other, "How was your day?" and "What was the best part of your day?" but now I think we'll add the worst and the funniest, too. Those are great suggestions! DD fades fast when DH starts talking about work stuff, so right now our focus is on teaching the children to be conversational and to take turns talking. I don't think DH and I should...
We give a crisp $1 bill for each tooth. So far, I've kept the teeth in a drawer in my room that he won't be looking in anytime soon. Just be ready, because if he's just lost the first tooth, the next 4 or 5 are going to drop out pretty quickly! Keep a stash of coins/bills handy!
I would have a snack to hand her as she gets into the car. Something with some protein to bolster her up a bit. My DS is also in K, and he really just gets distracted at lunch sometimes. On the days he doesn't eat much at lunch, he's really crabby by the time I pick him up. Another more long-term solution may be for her to pack her own lunch. Have acceptable items that she can choose from each morning to put in her lunch box (or the night before).
My DD is also 4.5, and I'm also a teacher - fun to see the similarities! My DD has trouble playing by herself because she is such a social and gregarious child. Her 6.5 yo brother has no trouble playing by himself for hours at a time, and was certainly able to do that when he was 4.5. DD is always asking someone to play with her when we get home from school. Usually DS is happy to join her, but if he's not she has a hard time accepting that I can't because we just got...