or Connect

Posts by bekkers

I'm not sure if Denn's is a chain or just one store, but the one here in Mainz is relatively large. I also don't know about the humane status of the meats I've been getting, I am incapable of discussing the issue with employees so I'm pretty happy to even find stuff that I don't need to cook and doesn't have ingredients like milk powder, etc... We have resorted to some rice and other things in addition to the usual meats and veggies because it is not feasible to subsist...
Cool! Nice to (internet) meet you.  ;-)    Forgot to post back that in fact the amazon apo shipment of coconut oil came through! So that is one less worry. I haven't doen it yet but am planning on ordering carleson's fishoil from amazon.de since I can't find it anywhere in person. I have been going to Denn's, Alnatura and occasionally Tegut for snack type things. Denn's here in Mainz is bigger and has a nice selection of nut butters, dried fruit, nuts/seeds, apples...
Should have clarified (and I actually joined the unerzogen yahoo group, cool people!) we are able to legally homeschool here because we are in the country in association with the military. I was pretty bummed when I found out that there wasn't going to be big active groups of German homeschoolers getting together here that we could practice our new language with and that is kind of spurring this reconsideration of the school thing. It is really hard for me to understand...
Hello all! So we love it here, Mainz is beautiful, the food thing is still tricky without a kitchen but after some rashes/etc the first week we got super strict and have found a few restaurants that will cater to our needs. I have a rec for a ped in Wiesbaden but the person who likes them doesn't know how they will feel about non-vax, etc... So I was wondering if there was anyone that could suggest a ped or family doc in the area (willing to travel if necessary) that is...
Hey PJ, we got here yesterday! Our commitment s for 36 months and we may ask to stay longer after that. I'm not sure if we will end up in Mainz. Wiesbaden or Frankfurt but that is where we are planning to explore/look at houses. 
Hey! Sorry I didn't respond more quickly, we have been moving.  ;-) We got here yesterday, so let us know when you get here and if you want to meet up or anything. I don't have much of a feel for the birthing community here so I'm no help there. I tend to just hermit it out and do my own thing re:birth stuff but if I hear of anyone interested I'll try to hook you guys up.    I APO'd coconut oil from amazon a while ago but we got to the post office too late yesterday...
Thank you Oceane! That really was helpful. I am making notes to take with us!
I am not sure why but when I asked this question elsewhere I got lots of replies along the lines of "Food is so much healthier in Germany! Just look when you get there!" and some sarcastic "yeah, the Germans only eat sausages and beer, but maybe if you look really really hard you'll be able to find fruit and veg and maybe even coffee" which really have irritated me all day. I am not at all worried about the quality of food in Germany, I am very excited about moving...
And hoping to find other crunchy families! We have 2 girls (6 & just turning 4) and a boy (will turn 2 the day after we arrive) and eat mostly paleo, have a lot of food intolerances (even within the paleo thing) and are homeschooling and generally ap. (and into homebirthing/unnassisted birth, non vax, etc...) I know most of that stuff is pretty unusual, but I am hoping there might be some kids around who might fit our kids ages and want to play. If we could get advice on...
But will travel if necessary! We need a teeth cleaning/check up for our 5 year old, and the 3 yr old has a cavitycarrie that looks pretty bad but I don't want to do anything more than we have to. Am hoping it can just be cleaned and sealed or something, no anesthesia, drilling, etc... Our dentist back on the east coast was great and let the kids sit in our laps for cleaning and generally was very laid back, please tell me there is someone like that here!