or Connect

Posts by journeymom

More thoughts.  You know those statements that define something you've observed but never put into words?  From that website, a really concise, well-worded comment: "a small portion of the male population keeps virtually all women in fear and causes them to curtail their freedoms to avoid violence".  Not only does this make me furious, but it clarifies for me and defines even more what I'm looking at.    Forgive me for going off on a tangent, and not staying...
Yes Mean Yes is an amazing blog and I wish every woman could read this:    http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/   Oct 10th's  "...blocking Rapists is a Moral Obligation" is particularly relevant to this conversation about alcohol and sexual assault.    Meet the Predators, Predator Redux and This is What Rape Culture Looks Like, are all just excellent articles to read. This was eye-opening and consciousness-raising stuff.    Read it!
Dd is almost 19 and DS is 14 and a half. Dd has always been more cooperative than DS, but I think she's simply more rational, too. Ages 12-15 dd's moods were simply exhausting, because she was in tears and anxious a lot of the time, and I worried about her. DS is moody, too, but it takes the form of defiance and rudeness, which ticks me off. Edited to add, because I didn't have time to finish my thought. To whomever emphasized that ultimately kids are their own selves...
My mom said, just like you can't take all the credit, you can't take all the blame for how your kids turn out.  Nature, nurture, that kind of thing.
School was a 6 minute drive away and we were late a lot. Seriously.  I should qualify my original statement by saying that that was only one school year, and it was a bad year in other regards. I was depressed a lot and didn't have my sh!t together. I'm a night owl and I've always had a horrible time getting up.  For a while that year it was nice to have the luxury to take it easy and be late in the morning.  Predictably, getting a better sleep habit (go to bed earlier,...
  Not entirely related to what you're saying here, maybe it's the flip side of the same coin, I'm off on a tangent, but the other problem with imbuing motherhood with these forever, transcendent, sacred and glowing qualities is that, ironically, the job holder can more easily be dismissed and trivialized.
Responding just to the original post. It's important to carefully separate who you mean by 'most people'.  Public media culture - magazines, radio talk show hosts, tv news, blogs. Versus people in your real world -family, friends, co-workers, classmates.    I'm clueless, I don't always pick up on other people's vibes, so maybe I just didn't notice it. But I went into sahm-ness expecting to be criticized and didn't find it, at least not the way it's portrayed...
Pre 7am is early? Maybe it depends on the stage of your life.    There was one wonderful year when I was a sahm and the kids' school didn't start till, like, 8:15am or something. That was divine. We'd sleep till 7:45, later sometimes. My impression was that most of my mom friends got up earlier.   Those days are gone!  I don't need to be at work till 9:30, but I'm up by about 6:15. Get dh to the train station by 7am, go back home and get ds to school by 7:30. 
Signed 2 people up for health insurance!  From start to finish!   [insert dancing carrot]   I love my job.  It's been oh-so rocky.  When the customers are having a difficult time on the web site, the customer service reps are, too.  But today the internet goddess was merciful and I had few web problems.  It was SO satisfying to do the job I was trained to do!   I've started many applications and been kicked off, so the customer has to call back and finish with someone...
 Wonder Woman did not come!  I don't think it can be filmed. they'll never find an actress worth of playing her.