or Connect

Posts by journeymom

I never got banned...
Jennyanydots,  this was almost 4 weeks ago but I wanted to say almost immediately after I wrote it, how perfectly lame that sounds to me.  Just go read some books!   I love researching this kind of thing (search, "great sex ed books for kids whose moms a had a tough time of it")! I was going to come back 2 or 3 perfectly chosen, thoughtful, insightful book suggestions. Now I'm laughing at myself.  I'm betting you're getting along just fine.
How am I? I'm tired!  It's a good tired. I don't miss being home, I'm surprised how I don't miss it, but 8hrs/5days is quite the change. I love being at work, my co workers (fellow students, since we're all still in training) are great people.  Come October when California's Affordable Care Act exchange open enrollment begins and the phones open up... batten down the hatches, it's going to be wild.  On the news this morning the guy with the PR dept said the whole project...
    Language and bullying  -are any of the other kids that play online friends with him in real life?  If so, you can put the game on a private server for him and trusted friends to play on. They're still playing together over the internet, just not with God Know Who Else.  Yes, it probably means starting over with stats and stuff accumulated and so on.   Sneaking down at night -make the computer password protected. For a while our kids had to ask us to sign them on to...
Excellent post, Linda.
Jenny, ouch. What a painful upbringing.  It's obvious that you are doing the best you can, and your daughters are getting the healthy atmosphere they deserve.   This sounds so trite, but there are lots of books about teaching your child about sex that might be helpful to you. Joy of Sex not being one of them.     Someone upthread mentioned the Unitarian's sex ed course. Sounds intriguing!     Your DD1 sounds like me when I was that age. Love it!
After 15 years of being a sahm this is my last weekday, alone in the house, hanging out at MDC.  This is seriously significant to me. On the one hand, it's caused me a lot of stress and shame that I chose to spend soooo much time on the 'net, including here. Really, a lot of time. On the other hand, this forum -of real moms, wives, daughters, grandmothers- has been a precious well of comfort, support, knowledge, entertainment, irritation, anger.  Ass-kicking. Many of you...
  See, this is what i meant to get around to saying, but got distracted.    Even that would be too much info for me to share. Not that I'd be embarrassed so much as I wonder if there is any...vague, nebulous unconsidered consequences of discussing that.  However, that's exactly the kind of thing I want to share with my dd, because I think it could be helpful. Obviously I'm conflicted. 
I'm sorry, I hope I'm not taking this thread too far off topic.    When you say safe, what do you meant?  Safe, how? In contrast, what is unsafe?  (I hope my tone sounds sincere. I don't know how to phrase these questions so that it's entirely clear I'm not challenging you!)   I really don't think I need to support or worry about where my kid is having sex. It would feel weird, not very parental, to actively make it easier to have sex.  Honestly, I kinda think they should...
From the link I posted, this pretty much sums up what I strive for. though I don't always succeed:        Whatnextmom, I like most of your whole post!  I like your approach. Your daughter sounds really level-headed.    I especially like this:        I totally wish I'd heeded this. I fumbled into sex.  Didn't even have a boyfriend, had never kissed a boy, till I was 17. For years I'd dreamed the first boyfriend would be about holding hands and talking on the phone, going...