or Connect

Posts by snyderjoint

I don't think that it's necessarily hypocritical, but I do believe that a parent's job is to guide a child to make good and healthy decisons early on. I'm going through this with my 3 year old nephew now. I don't believe my sister should do things that she does not permit my nephew to do, pretty much just because I think it's unfair. My sister doesn't allow her child to watch tv or eat junk food, however I think all things in moderation are ok. But then she watches tv...
I would say let them be honest, I mean obviously we don't want them yelling in stores and things, but I would tell them that everyone is different and some people have trouble doing things. That's why they may need for example a wheelchair. But, let them look or even let them ask questions. I really hate it when a child is scolded for being curious. It doesn't bother me at all, I'll answere almost any question that is a child has for me. Amy
This is a very interesting subject, growing up disabled and unable or at least thinking I was unable to play sports really had me thinking about this. While I agree you don't need sports to be well rounded or a good person I do think they are a very good thing for kids. I wish I could have played sports when I was a kid. However, some kids aren't into sports at all or team sports and that's ok, I would never push my kid into something. However, if my kid showed an interest...
Yes, I'm trying very hard and enjoying learning about different types of education and enjoying learning about them as well. I probably put alot of my own experiences in my post. I see what your saying about hs being a normal and regular thing.
I didn't mean to cause any fights here or anything I'm learning alot about hs and realizing that it's not what I thought and that there are good things about it. My comment in this thread was not geared towards hs in general, but more towards this boy with SB. Maybe this is just some of my personal experience but growing up it was very, very difficult for me to do normal childhood things, you know, watching other kids playing, doing their extra curriculars, so I grew up...
Thank you for the replies, I really wished I could have seen this show, I find it very interesting when I hear about other children with SB and how their lives differ from mine. I can relate to how the nanny felt about Seth participating in normal childhood activities because that's exactly how I felt growing up. But all in all it sounds like this child is doing very well. I do have concerns that the boy is homeschooled, but I don't want to get into that if it will hurt...
I didn't get to see this show, so could somebody fill me in on what went on? I know I read a post that one of the children had Spina Bifida, and I'm very curious about what was said about this child in general and well as homeschooling. I have Spina Bifida as well so this is of particular intrest to me, SB as I call it does have learning issues associated with it, but did the child have some other learning issues besides that? I'm not hear to fight with anyone, but I just...
Ok I don't want to start fights or hurl insults I have just a simple question to ask to parents with young kids. What is so wrong in your opinions with Santa? I can't help but read so many threads and posts where parents don't want their children to belive in santa. Now aside from religion that's different, what is so wrong with santa? My sister and I belived when we were young, we go to be about maybe 9 or 10 and started to understand that's it's just imagination. So now,...
First of all I didn't mean anything by the "forcing" issue, I just remembered things that I heard and wanted to clear that up. I really didn't mean though a big dramatic thing, kids kicking and screaming" I just mean like they wanted to go to school, or they were pulled out of school and didn't want to be. And the parents, for whatever reason, said no you're going to homeschool, that's all I meant. Also, I didn't say that not having tv and junk food and things like that in...
I mean no harm in this and don't want to start anything. But, I've heard from many posts quotes such as, "we force our children to do lots of things they don't want to do." And things like "it's not my child's decision." So what I gather is that alot of you choose hs for your family and that's totally cool, but that you do make your kids hs even if they don't want to because you know what's best. So isn't that a little "force"? I'm not trying to stir up trouble I'm just...