or Connect

Posts by tanyam926

Umm, no. I think it's crazy at 7 or 8 for all children and even for those older depending on personality. We don't live in a world where everyone is looking out for my child and my children shouldn't have to be responsible for their own safety. I know that crime is lower but what about someone calling CPS? That is a very real risk if you leave your children alone anywhere at that age. The involvement of CPS in my family even if it's just an interview is not worth the...
Hi guys!   I believe in being open and honest with my boys about their bodies and sex and as a family it's something that's easy for us. We have always had age appropriate conversations about everything and I think it's a great opportunity to communicate our values without having "the talk". We like the book "It's So Amazing" which discusses things pretty simply. We discuss the pros and cons of marriage before children and why God would logically want us to be in a...
I never post here but I read all the time. To learn and explore ideas, and read the links/research for myself.    I am a homebirthing, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, gentle parenting mom who vaxes selectively and on a delayed schedule so I feel like I fit in the middle somewhere. I read research and all kinds of information but take info from either side with a grain of salt...there is ridiculous propaganda on both sides.   What I don't understand is the...
I'm researching this now, we have always avoided ingesting flouride but have used flouride toothpaste.   So I was looking for research, what do you guys make of this from the Cochrane Review (supposed to be gold standard when reviewing studies right?) It says that the review of the studies shows a link between brushing with flouridated toothpaste and less dental caries. I would like to make an educated decision. Thanks for any...
We are a TV watching family too and I don't worry about it, I think that learning to manage the tech world we live in is an important skill. Every family has to figure out a way to do that in the way they feel is best. I don't feel like being so strict on anything is very helpful for my kids bc then they don't learn the skills they need to manage the world around them. So I say don't stress about it unless it is interfering with something in your child's life.
This thread is perfect!    We currently see a wonderful Ped dentist but have only been going for 1 yr.  At the first visit my kids had xrays and when we went last week they wanted to to them again and I declined, I think every 12 months is excessive when my kids have no problems.  I was informed by the lady who made me sign the form that going longer than 12 months is "below the standard of care" and when I pressed about what would happen if I refused again in 6 mo...
Walking Dead Mad Men The Carrie Diaries (pretty good, nothing like Sex and the City) Smash Law and Order SVU Kardashian shows BC I love Kourtney The Big Bang Theory Glee ( this season is awful) Loved Emily Owens M.D. but it was canceled :-(
I'm happy Daryl is back too, he's a fave character.
Oh, good!  I was so upset when Laurie died, I think they should have gone a different way, what do you think?   And what's wrong with Andrea?  I get that she needs a safe place, but I would be more scared to be around the crazy mayor than taking my chances outside of the walls ya know? 
I guess it's not too bad, but as I get to know more people at church I realize just how different I am.  I just don't see critical thinking/questioning things and faith to be mutually exclusive kwim?   Anyway, I am getting pretty involved in my church with the children's ministry and the leader is amazing.  She has such a heart for children, I even babysat her 2 yr old for a few wks and she is so positive and loving.   Unfortunately, there have been a couple of...