or Connect

Posts by Dan Frank

Is it just me, or does part of that look like a submissive's list in a BDSM relationship... "fun things to do- punishments" More seriously... Does your kid actually want you to set a routine for her, or do you think she needs it? Most 9 year olds I know dont really want to have to conform to follow a schedule. How do you differentiate punishment from chores? One bad thing she has to do is associated with you being angry, one isn't? Not exactly the most...
1st of all, quick heads up, DS is generally an abbrev for Darling Son , DD is Darling Daughter. Made the same mistake m'self when I was first here... I feel silly using them anyway. More importantly... I think the best thing to do in this situation would be to, rather than 'grinning' and bearing it, frowning and bearing it. Tell her you don't think she's making the right call, but that she has the right to decide what she wears on her body. Hopefully, tho not likely,...
(I am 16, so I'll first just give a little synopsis of teen behavior that I am familiar with) Well, first of all, while I don't watch cops, or "when animals attack", I know plenty of teens who do. Personally, I hate these shows, but hey, to each his own. As for the pointing out random sights, and repeating jokes all day long... well, I do that! I usually read things aloud when they make no sense, or just remind me of something funny... (I often verbalize my desire...
CRAP is a previous, lengthy, set of posts (entitled "ChatRoom Anxiety & Paranoia (CRAP)" It might be a good read.... However, the majority of it relates to irrational parental paranoia regarding the internet, chatrooms and perverts. Not really prevalent to this situation. Here is my advice. Don't ban or forbid the computer OR the net... that will just make her resentful, and probably even more eager to do it (and as you said, she can likely access it at...
(sigh) I don't want to get into a near replica of a far-too long debate I just finished.... So I will be brief. What word(s) did your daughter say? Why don't you want her saying them? Do you think this will keep her from saying them IRL? (because it wont) I would suggest you read CRAP, but A) a great deal of it isn't pertinent, and B) experience has now taught me that, as a general rule, actual discussion on this matter falls upon deaf ears. Best of luck, Dan
Um, as Keiko said... maybe she doesn't want to learn the viola? Any particular reason you feel she should? I took trumpet lessons as a child, but quickly abandoned it... attending class meant I had to skip a totally free, wonderful hour of reading... and practicing meant I had to skip thing I enjoyed a lot more when I was home. For me, giving it up was a no brainer. My dad, who is very musical, I think was disappointed (and disappointed that I'm his only kid who...
Last post here tonight, just wanna say... I wish someone would read and address, instead of just my stats, one of my analogies. The sushi one is my favorite. Either A) do you support a parent's right to ban Sushi for their kids, or B) do you think it isn't similar at all? How about walking down the street? A or B? NM... I know you do. I gave up long ago trying to convince you, or those who make this decision in a similar way, because I can't argue with you...
Laralou... (no, I didn't ignore you ) Cynthia already told me I couldn't have Princess Post-A-Lot... But I'm not one to give up. When the time comes (i.e. in about a billion more posts ), I shall wrest the Title from your hands. To draw an analogy to a the loathesome sport called 'professional' wrestling.... I'll take the Belt!! If I can't usurp your place.... I'll just be Emperor Post-A-Lot
LaLa, no one needs an apology I'm just curious (assuming this topic has any significance to you), if you don't go by stats coupled with a sound argument (yes, I'm arrogant, I think my argument is sound)... what will you go on? Statistics certainly aren't fact, but, imo, they're at least a little more reliable than the personal account of someone you happen to know. Barbara, it's happening again! I read your post, and I just go nodding along "yep, mmhm, right on,...
Dagnabbit! Go away a day, and look how much I have to catch up! I'm suppressing my urge to respond to every little part of every post, because, well, I'd be here all night. (edit: Since El posted a great deal of information of her own, however, I seem to have ended up doing just that) Let me first say that this post is about the statistics. I would hope anyone reading this would also read (or read instead) the post that shall soon follow this, because it is, to...