or Connect

Posts by marsmom

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I had to choose something quickly for this occasion and so I got her Double Shutter as I was able to find it in Target. She loves it - told me it was really fun! We have Set, which we love playing together - I'll have to encourage her to try it on her own. And we have Tantrix too, which we've mostly played as adults, have tried using only 3 colors with the kids, but haven't really tried the puzzles so I'll suggest that as...
My nearly 8-yr old DD loves to play board games (Scrabble, Quirkle, Chutes and Ladders, Sorry) and card games (Uno, Old Maid) with us and her younger sister. But she would really like something that she can play by herself if we're not free to play. I was envisioning something like Mastermind, until I looked more closely and remembered that no, it does require two people. Any suggestions?
Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants is awesome! And Snacktime by Bare Naked Ladies. Both have gotten thousands of hours of play around here.
We only have 2, but they shared a room for 5 years so they could use the other as a playroom (which was right off the kitchen) - worked really well for us. We did occasionally have problems with going to sleep together if one was tantrumming or something, and then one would go in our bed to fall asleep and get carried back in to their bed asap, but that was unusual. Ours went into a bunk bed when they were 2.5yrs and 4.5 yrs - it was the Kura from IKEA - only $200 and...
Thank you so much for all the support and thoughtful comments. It's a struggle isn't it - finding the right line between not blowing something out of proportion and addressing behavior that really grates on me. I have decided to buy her the doll for her birthday - she has given me a few dolls she no longer plays with and those remaining I'm happy that she does use. She really loves her dolls, so I know it is something she'll really enjoy. I have also decided to give it...
Thanks for all the great ideas, I really needed feedback on this as it has been such an ongoing struggle. She can be so greedy (there is no other word! and yes it is a horrible trait that we badly want her to outgrow) and it's not just whining, this is full-blown wailing, screaming - I can see her being almost torn apart by the intensity of her emotions sometimes - and it goes on for days, not something resolved by sending her to her room. Normally, she is a mature,...
I need ideas on how to help DD avoid friend-given candy, especially holiday and party related. DD is very sugar sensitive - really becomes a monster within 30 minutes of eating anything sugary. Can only handle it in small quantities directly after a protein-heavy meal. So we've learned not to keep it in the house and she's getting better about knowing that she can't handle it (she's almost 8). But we're feeling more and more inundated with holiday and party candy and...
She does make lists and a doll and doll accessories are always at the top. And I do the stern lecture on appreciation on what seems a very frequent basis, usually to no effect. And while I don't like the revolving door concept with her dolls in some ways, I think we need to reduce overall numbers so finding someone specific to pass along less loved dollies would great. It is easy to forget when she is whining endlessly about how she has nothing (and her sister has...
I like "The Moms’ Guide to Meal Makeovers: Improving the Way Your Family Eats, One Meal at a Time!" - it's not what I would cook for myself necessarily, but it has really helped me deal with DD2 who is very fussy eater.
Almost 8 yr-old DD1 completely lost it when just turned 6-yr old DD2 opened her birthday presents, which included a new doll. I thought we had prepped her enough this year but she remains obsessed with equality in possessions and with having something new. She loses it (big time) whenever her younger sister gets something she does not have (e.g. a party bag item, a win at a fair stall). Everything she has is old and no good, and she can't sleep for wanting to know exactly...