or Connect

Posts by japonica

I agree with all of the above. I've found that there's two broad types as well…the respectful, willing to work with you one and then there's ER docs.    With our kids' former peds and their current GP, none had an issue with delaying and they didn't argue or belittle or threaten. The peds were fine with delaying vaccines and by the time we'd moved overseas, they'd still not had one vaccine and the peds stopped asking about it. The current GP signed our CO form and when...
Yeah, I remember that about enrolling in school back in Canada--that no one demanded immunisation records (*qualification, certain provinces, I believe, do ask).    Here in Australia, it's a bit of a different story. 
  Thanks for the update. You can get a titre done and see if a second dose is necessary. From what I recall, the manufacturer says that 95% seroconvert after one dose, so a second MMR may not be needed (although you might need to show proof of immunity for school etc.).
 Exactly. I wish there was more discussion on how this push for circing in the US seems to be more of a cultural phenomenon than based in medical fact. How else to explain that other developed Western nations that do not have high RIC rates are not re-evaluating their stances nor advocating that parents choose RIC for supposed health benefits? If the benefit were as tangible as purported, wouldn't Sweden, Finland, and the Netherlands have jumped on the bandwagon?
 Well, I'd make sure to double check before you plan on migrating. Policies change and in the current climate of shall we say less tolerance, then it would be relatively easy I imagine to amend immigration legislation to demand that children are UTD before the visas are granted. We had to pass a medical--the whole family--with a doctor approved by the Australian government. It's scored on a grading system. I do know that the kids lost points and slipped down a grade for...
 We've been living in Oz for about 4.5 years and will apply for citizenship this year. When we migrated here, my kids were not vaccinated at all (and we still got our visas), and just recently we started on a very selective, very delayed schedule working in partnership with our GP. That poses its own challenges as the system is set up for an all-or-nothing approach and there is no leeway for selective vaccination (unless you do it like we are…paid privately using scripts...
Yeah, it's just been released here in Oz too.    http://www.australiandoctor.com.au/news/latest-news/meningococcal-b-vaccine-apporved-in-oz
 Here's what I found under the diphtheria toxoid active vaccines section (since that's the issue, according to Canadian recommendations): http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/p04-dip-eng.php#a2 Under recommendations for use, infants and children, 2 months to 17 years of age:  Pediacel, which is the 5 in 1, is not indicated for persons aged 7 and older: https://www.vaccineshoppecanada.com/document.cfm?file=Pediacel_E.pdf There's a section on page 13 of the monograph...
It's something I would mention to them the next time you go to that health centre. I'm glad your DD is fine, but recommendations are recommendations and the nurse is administering a product to children (I'll assume that yours is not the only child) who are not indicated to receive it by both the manufacturer and by the Canadian government. We had doctors in my state giving kids a banned flu vaccine a couple of years back: after a death and a well publicised case of...
 You can get them, sort of. I could get a monovalent paediatric hep B if I wanted. Or a separate Hib. It's just that there's no separate DT formulation for children any longer. So, the options are infant combos or the adult Td which they will not allow children under age 10 to receive. That's why we're waiting...