or Connect

Posts by japonica

But if you're in Canada, you can get them separate in the sense that you can get the Td at age 7 and also get separate IPV, separate hep B, separate Hib etc. That is a source of frustration for me now living in Australia…that regulations here won't allow my kids to get the adult Td booster for primary immunisation until after age 10, whereas in Canada, it would be permissible. Also, did you mention that your 8 year old just had a 6 in 1? Was that Infanrix? I'm just...
 Agree completely.  Nukuspot, I think, if you're ever deliberating, the thing to do is to narrow down what you think may be required at this time in your particular circumstances and not necessarily the catch up schedule which assumes you want to bring your child UTD with everything as soon as possible. I know for us, we'd never use the catch up schedule. There also ways to limit the number even further. The old "one MMR and then titre" approach for example. There was even...
 Personally, I'm not 100% either but in my case, I have to be of the mind that any potential benefit from vaccinating is going to outweigh the potential risks (risks both with the vaccine or risks staying unvaccinated). It tipped a lot more into the "remain unvaccinated" basket when they were babies and toddlers, home with me, breastfed for years, etc. Now they attend school with classmates who travel to Asia frequently and the school hosts exchange students from Asia...
There's a few of us who have done the MMR at older ages or are considering it, along with ensuing discussion of risk/benefit, supplements etc. If you search through some of the old threads in this forum, it might be point you in the right direction.   I think for some of us with older children, one of the issues was getting the MMR before puberty if we have daughters because of the higher risk of arthritis-type reactions in the teen years, but with a son you don't need...
Hey Bronwen. That was the first one we did and my kids were 9 and 5.5 at the time. We did extra vitamin A (about 3000 IU a day) from the day of vaccination until day 14. I posted on a thread about the vitamin A dosage and started one separate thread at the time about our experience (this past November). Oh I also did sodium ascorbate, about 2-3g a day (can't recall exact amount, just added it to juice).   They had no reactions whatsoever, not even the fever around the...
 That sounds like us. It was with while pregnant with our third child that someone (can't recall if it was the OB or MFM doctor) said, "You really should see a genetic counsellor." I was kinda like, "Well, that sounds like closing the stable door with the horse a tiny blip on the horizon," but we did it anyway because they were freaking out that DH might be a carrier for beta thalassemia which I thought unlikely with his ancestry. But you never know because my mother's...
 I think if her DH has fared this well so far through life and is just having his gallbladder removed now, then I doubt very much he's a severe case of HS and he should do okay. DH only got diagnosed because he switched GPs and in a course of run of the mill bloodwork, his new doctor thought something looked a bit off. He told DH that it may be nothing but just wanted to follow up and see where it led. All these years of DH getting b/w and physicals and no one ever noticed...
 From what I know, it's autosomal dominant but not sure if it's X or Y dependent. I don't think it makes a difference. From what I've read of the affected chromosomes, it wouldn't factor into it I think. A few of DH's cousins have had their gallbladders out, including those who are the children of his mother's brothers. 
Quite a surprise for me to see the title. Usually if I mention Hereditary Spherocytosis, people go, "Whaaa?"   My DH has it. He wasn't diagnosed until his early 30s but all the signs were there that something was amiss in his family as almost none of his close family--or extended one for that matter--have their gallbladders left. Also, DH has a bit of a yellow tone to his skin (not outright jaundice but in hindsight, you can see that it was always there and more...
 Yeah, the kids normally take Nordic Naturals CLO here but I didn't think it had enough vitamin A in it for this particular purpose. The label says it contains between 425 and 1500 IU.  We're in Oz so just used a garden variety Blackmore's Vitamin A 5000. I gave them 1/2 capsule a day along with their fish oil, so an extra ~2500 IU a day. I stopped the extra vitamin A supplementation after day 14.  We also did sodium ascorbate, about 2g a day. That dose did not produce any...