or Connect

Posts by japonica

No kidding. My kids are getting their first (of very few) vaxes in October, but like I feel welcome posting in a forum with posts about "antivaxers." 
My DD was absurdly healthy. No ear infections until 4 years old. No GI bugs until that age as well (minus the norovirus that rampaged through the whole family in 2006, although she fared the best of all of us and was barely ill in comparison). Not even any colds or anything until preschool.   DS has a different immune system. He did have ear infections as a baby, colds etc. He also had pertussis when he was 23 months old (got it from his father), while his unvaxed...
Personally, over the years I've learned that it's just easier to keep this stuff confidential and that includes families. Although my in-laws aren't as outspoken as yours seem to be, I do know that they all followed the schedule with their own kids and probably disapprove of our actions, but the topic has not come up and we don't share any information. It easier now that they're older actually. Everyone assumes that they're caught up.   Honestly, I'd tell my inlaws...
I find the bolded part slightly ironic. Parents who do not vaccinate and whose kids are perceived to be disease spreaders are often vilified by the media and on discussion boards for being irresponsible, dangerous, and a threat to society.   Using a live virus vaccine that may potentially infect others necessitating antibiotics apparently has no downsides though because it supposedly means increased vaccine coverage.  Aside from the degree of potential illness...
  My husband is a HV electrician, responsible for installation and testing of the massive power structures of industrial sites. If he did not continually question the changeable properties of electricity, influenced by such mundane things as surrounding infrastructure and weather (of all things), he'd likely be dead by now.    Based on his experience over the past 25 years, it's the guys who go into it taking everything at face value, without question, and without a...
  The Vioxx case is a good example of what constitutes "adequate" research. It was initially approved based on eight studies with a total of 5400 people. Eleven months after the VIGOR study (with 8000 participants) began, the discussions ensued of what to do with these cases of heart problems in the stats. The Vioxx group had nearly double the amount of serious cardiac events or death compared with the naproxen group, but Merck says it's small enough numbers to discount....
I agree with many of the comments posted above. I think there has to be a thorough risk-benefit analysis done. Two of my three births were pitocin inductions due to Rh disease (WinRho failure). It was either the pitocin inductions at 37w or c-sections (and given my body's unpredictable response to anaesthesia--part of the reason I declined epidurals with all of the births--the pitocin induction seemed the less risky all around). Not without risk, just the most favourable...
I'd like Offit to meet my stepfather. He refused chemo and surgery on his lung cancer and instead opted for one of those internet cures, figuring, "What the hell, I'm 75 and if I'm going to go anyway, it won't be suffering from the after effects of chemo." Of course, we all had a good laugh about it, "Internet cure...sure. You're off your rocker, but it's your choice." Turns out the joke was on us.    Four years on, he's still alive, the tumours have either shrunk,...
Couldn't be much of a bioethicist if he couldn't see the holes in his argument. 
  I tried not to choke on my coffee when I read that. Drink driving rates are staggering here in Australia (18% of all fatal crashes in NSW involve alcohol) and seeing as the article is from an Australian site, I thought it was a bit rich to make that statement. This country has an attitude to alcohol (the more access the better) that makes a lot of new migrants shake their heads in disbelief. So, for a more effective argument about the merits of social responsibility,...