or Connect

Posts by japonica

Quite a surprise for me to see the title. Usually if I mention Hereditary Spherocytosis, people go, "Whaaa?"   My DH has it. He wasn't diagnosed until his early 30s but all the signs were there that something was amiss in his family as almost none of his close family--or extended one for that matter--have their gallbladders left. Also, DH has a bit of a yellow tone to his skin (not outright jaundice but in hindsight, you can see that it was always there and more...
 Yeah, the kids normally take Nordic Naturals CLO here but I didn't think it had enough vitamin A in it for this particular purpose. The label says it contains between 425 and 1500 IU.  We're in Oz so just used a garden variety Blackmore's Vitamin A 5000. I gave them 1/2 capsule a day along with their fish oil, so an extra ~2500 IU a day. I stopped the extra vitamin A supplementation after day 14.  We also did sodium ascorbate, about 2g a day. That dose did not produce any...
I used it but started the afternoon that they received the vaccine (which I understand is not ideal…I think we were supposed to have started supplementation a few days beforehand so that their levels were optimum before getting the vaccine).   But we continued supplementing for two weeks afterwards. They had no reactions whatsoever. Not even a fever a week in like the nurse said to expect. I kept expecting a fever, headache, minor rash, something, but nothing at all. It...
No pointers except to say that those of us with older kids doing S&D or catch up schedules are all in a similar boat. I doubt I'll get my kids near the GP's office again without significant bribery (even then, my youngest will likely say, "Forget it!"). 
 AFAIK, there is only the MMR for adults as well. Maybe a monovalent measles vaccine is available in Europe (perhaps someone can post if it is), but from what I've seen in Canada, the US, and Australia, it seems MMR is the only option (with the related potential for the arthritis/arthralgia risk for adult women from the rubella component). Perhaps Kathy or some of the others would have some hard facts on immunity, but just off the top of my head, I've heard of a number of...
 Yes. I even thought about flying back just so we could start that dT series at age 7, but it's just not possible financially for us to fly back to Canada from Australia 3x in one year. Sigh. The difference in schedules and recommendations is a good starting point for asking WHY things are the way they are. Presumably, government health departments are all making these decisions based on science. It just shows that the interpretation of said science and the corresponding...
 Thanks. The schedule and recommendation differences are both intriguing (ie. food for thought…why does one country do things a certain way) or frustrating, depending on your POV. In my case, my own country (Canada) recommends that children over age seven who need "catch up" immunisation for diphtheria, tetanus etc. be given the adult formulations NOT the infant combos because in their estimation, the risk of reactions is higher for older children with infant combos....
 They did not have any vaccines until this past November. They received the MMR at that point. My DD had just turned nine and I was also concerned about the rubella/arthritis-arthralgia connection (even the product insert mentions that the risk is higher for adolescent girls than in children), so we decided to go ahead. My DS got it at the same time, although if I were to do it again, I would probably wait on his until he were nine or ten as well purely to try and maximise...
I'm in a slightly different boat as my kids are starting their primary courses of vaccines (9, and almost 6), and can't get the next one, the dT, until over age 10, but I imagine if I were doing booster for ages 10-15, I'd probably consider the MMR as the mumps portion tends to wane in effectiveness by the teen years (the measles portion is generally longer lasting, I suppose if you were really curious a titre test could tell you, but it means another needle for the...
 You can split them up in a sense if you go with dT/DT instead of DTaP. No chance of a separate P vaccine obviously, but there is the option for people who don't want the DTaP combo to break it up a fraction more. Oh and I answered this already in S&D so won't repeat it here. :)