or Connect

Posts by japonica

Hi there.    I can't speak for anyone else but I think maybe the crickets here is that you outlined all of the issues so well that there's not much more to add than it's a personal decision, your call, from this point on.    Personally, we did not do Hib vaccine. I looked at all of the risk factors associated with reported cases of the clinical disease from the studies…lack of breastfeeding, childcare attendance, older siblings (so it wasn't as much of an issue for...
Agree. I'd run from such a practice. Reminds of the ER doctor who menaced us with, "It's my duty to inform you that your kids will never be able to attend any schools in this state unless they're vaccinated." I said, "Really? They were enrolled in three already without any problems."  Oh, so parents don't get a say in what and how many vaccines THEIR children receive. Nice. Have the doctors acquired custody of the kids in the 5 minutes of the appointment?
Single dose of HPV vaccine may be enough to ward off cervical cancer Thought this was an interesting find in the local paper. HPV is not on my list. Part of it is the adequate long term data and the other is frankly the reported reactions. However, I do think it highlights the issue of whether or not the full number of doses are required for all vaccines.  
This happened to be on TV here this week. Not just vaccines that generate the COI discussion of course:   http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3881441.htm   (transcript of the show)   Probably more interesting was the censorship debate surrounding airing the episode. 
Yeah, that's about the only reason we're doing the MMR as well. We're also having to re-evaluate our choices as the kids get older and are on the brink of puberty (in our DD's case). As for the DTaP, if you're in Canada (lucky you ;) ) then you do have the option to go for the Tdap after age 7 (obviously depends on your situation, risk factors, and mindset about waiting another two years). It has less of the diphtheria toxoids in it and is presumed to cause less of a...
12-23 month olds. Too bad they didn't want to look at higher age ranges. Obviously, the study's useless in my case. Not like I can jump to conclusions and say, "Wow, more reactions at 16-23 months, then 6 years old is going to be really bad."    OP: My son's going to be 6 when we start vaxing. We're doing one MMR and then getting a titer done. I wouldn't read too much into the aforementioned linked study. Your child's 5 and mine are almost 6 and 9 and outside the age...
Mine will get their first starting in Feb. DD will be 9 and DS will be almost 6.
Following. Just wanted to say that I was looking into info on this earlier this year as well (when my kids were supposed to get their dT) and couldn't find anything comparing the pharmacological action of the two types, injected, and if they were metabolized differently, excretion differences etc. I haven't found what I was looking for to date.
 Actually the "breastfeeding only protects for a few months" chestnut has been addressed here before specifically with Hib and the protection dependent on the duration of breastfeeding. I don't have the study link, but I know many of the other members here have referenced it before. I think personally that Jack Newman's observation that breastmilk does not automatically turn into water at the minute a baby turns 12 months is apt. The white cells, immune factors, are all...
Fair enough, but then why isn't it in the meme? I mean, they could still put it in there and put an asterisk with *current vaccine not as effective or *population much higher now or does that somehow take away from their meme impact?   The argument re: effectiveness and population, sure, that's perhaps part of the picture (ie.the aP is deemed less effective, vaccine-induced immunity wanes earlier, and the population is larger now, so that's why the numbers are up)....