or Connect

Posts by japonica

132 but found the quiz next to useless, particularly question 11. Why is wheat/whole grains in almost every single answer?  Guess that kicks the GFers, primal and paleo folks to the curb.    I also find the correlation between homeschooling and personal grooming a bit questionable. Makes it sound like crunchy folks are all barefoot, hair-covered hippies living in the woods. Funny, I think the booming market on organic makeup and skin care contradicts this. All the...
I don't have a meme but I notice the conspicuous absence of pertussis from this one. I guess it doesn't look as good as the others: "In the US in 1952, 45,030 people contracted pertussis. In 2012, 48,277 people contracted pertussis." Sure, I suppose if they wanted to, they could pick the year with the highest reported cases--appears to be 1934--and put it on the meme and state, "Hey, we've gone from 265,269 to 48,277, woot," and then add some obscure unrelated stat....
Hi Bronwen. I just wanted to say that I'm pretty much in the same boat. My kids are nearly 9 and 5.5 and although we wanted to start with the dT we hit a wall with that here (see my other post on it in this forum) so I think we might do one MMR and check for titres before the school year starts in February. I'm not too worried about chicken pox at this stage. I'm also trying to structure any vaxes/series around the November-March months when their natural vit D levels are...
We're avoiding a fair number of them. Some are now unnecessary because of the age of my children. Others, like flu and HPV, are on our "no thanks" list. As for the rest, I have a post elsewhere in this forum that discusses the few we are getting.
Just branching off from the evolution to handle typical childhood disease in childhood, I think that immune system response (children vs. adults) definitely comes into play. Completely anecdotal, but we had a viral illness go through here about six weeks ago. The kids had it (although both fared much better than I did). I underwent blood work (10 days into it) just in case it was one of the mosquito-borne viral illnesses here that can be quite serious (it wasn't). We...
Just off the top of my head...adults also tend to have more chronic disease that already tips the scales a bit. This may not come into play with 20-somethings, but get into the 40s and 50s, and you have diabetics, people with heart disease/HBP, autoimmune disease (one of my friends was recently diagnosed with RA at 40). Some ethnic communities do have high rates of Type II diabetes (and associated complications) even in 20 year olds. Add in less than optimal diet, and...
Yeah, I still think the school handled it badly.   When there were confirmed cases of pertussis at my kids' school back in 2011, no letter went home, just a notice up on the walls outside the classrooms that 1) yes, there were confirmed cases of pertussis about and 2) your child might have been exposed, so if concerned, go see your doctor. Nothing about anyone's vax or health status in the notices. My DD was in all likelihood exposed, but nothing came of it and I didn't...
I'm so sorry. We're in a K-12 private school (albeit more than 125 students) with CO forms lodged and if this happened to us, I'd be really angry as well. Like you said, it's not so much that they felt compelled to notify (which is reasonable), but that they had to put your kids' CO status in the letter and as you said, people can put two and two together.   If it were me, I'd write a letter to the school/meet with the administration and outline that you feel that your...
 Yeah, I know. Wasn't one study done citing anywhere from 4-20 years for natural immunity? I must have had some left (having had pertussis in my late teens) as when my DH and DS were paroxysmal hacking all around me, I didn't come down with it. There was a recent paper about just how smart pertussis is...interesting... http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0046407 
Good question, T.   Well, as everyone can see from my dT thread, we were trying to get the dT for them but have run into the wall of pig-headed Australian bureaucracy and we have to wait until the kids are 10 years old to start that series (unless we move back to Canada before then  ).   Others we're considering...MMR before puberty. We'd do one shot only and check titre level.    Further down the list...chicken pox and meningococcal. Varicella just because it sucks...