or Connect

Posts by japonica

OK, it sounds like your midwives had a bad experience and just want to cover their behinds...it is your call and I would not let anyone bully me into doing something I wasn't comfortable with just to make them feel better. It's strange to see them acting like this. The midwife I saw had no problems with me refusing the shots if I wanted to, saying that she had clients who had refused in the past (they were JW and did not want the blood product) and it didn't bother her....
Quote: Without an overhaul of the Canadian constitution, vaccines can never be made mandatory here. Of course, that doesn't stop people from trying to tell you that they are... I think, just based on things are here now...i.e. no mandatory vaxes, no hassle from the community health nurse after you tell them you're not interested etc. that it is an easier place to live if you're not vaxing, but I don't think that means it is a utopia or...
Quote: hank you for all the replies, they've been very helpful. I recognize there is a small risk in not taking the prenatal rhogam, but I think I've decided to wait for the postpartum dose. I'm already 30 weeks so I think it's too late to look into the prenatal testing for the baby's blood type...i should have had the shot already. I'm thinking if I give the prenatal shot, I am definitely putting this baby at risk (that risk might be small, but I am...
Good for you for standing your ground! I always tell the docs we're delaying too (even though we're not doing any) just to keep them off our backs...then by the time the kiddos have reached 1 year, 2 years etc. they assume that they've been vaxed and usually don't bring it up again. Of course, we're a bit luckier in that regard since in our province, the peds office doesn't do the vaxes themselves, it's the community health nurses (different office) that do, so things...
I just wanted to add, make sure the water you wash in is hot enough to sanitize the dipes. I know some PPs mentioned them not getting clean enough...I found somewhere online that the water temp to sanitize fabric without bleach has to be about 140F-160F. To get my wash water that hot, I have to crank up my water heater and when the washer fills, I turn off the cold tap so only scalding hot goes in (I turn on the cold for the rinse cycles). I've been washing this way for 3+...
Quote: Maternal antibody production leads to sensitization while Rhogam prevents it. Please put a qualifier in there. Rhogam is supposed to prevent it. I was given multiple doses by trained nurses and midwives, according to package instructions, at the right times during pregnancy, in the right amounts and it failed anyway. I have "met" many women online in a support BG who also suffered from rhogam failure even when it was given as directed. Vaccine...
Just a few notes and thought I'd chime in... About the post with the possibility of rhogam crossing the placenta, it was written by MT who has decades of experience researching vaccines and the immune system. So, although what she postulates may go against what medical experts would like us to believe, I would not write her off easily. For me, the question is this. If rhogam is made from the plasma of donors, collected to produce enough anti-D to simulate an immune...
Er, I'm not sure if I can put a direct link on here so just do a search for "beyond conformity" and the blog should come up...about the second one down, it has a nz address. There's info on there about donations etc. Considering the amount they must spend on postage to mail these things (mine had $25 in postage affixed to the envelope), I'd say be as generous as you reasonably can.
Quote: but now our midwives have us concerned that we are being foolish and irresponsible and that rhogam carries no risk, and I wonder if we're just overreacting by refusing the shot. Your midwives sound like they're a bit pushy because they got burned...when I was seeing a midwife, she was pretty laid back about the whole thing and said she'd had clients who had refused and it didn't bother her. Look into the whole rhogam issue...research the...
OK, as far as I've researched it is made from donor plasma (from multiple donors) to acquire enough of the anti-D to prepare and put into the product. If it is not made from human blood products at all, how on earth are they making it and where are they getting the anti-D from? I'd like the midwife to provide some info on that...I can't imagine that the companies that make it (and it still was a human blood product as far as the manufacturer inserts I was reading last...