or Connect

Posts by japonica

One thing to remember about tetanus as well is that immunity tends to wane, if I recall, after about 10-11 years or so after receiving the vax...so my point is there are millions of adults out there, with questionable immunity left to tetanus yet they're out there working on farms, gardening, playing with their kids, playing sports and there isn't an epidemic of tetanus cases being reported...so perhaps it isn't as easily acquired as some sources say.
http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/2676#more-2676 Quote: Several batches of MMR vaccine were recalled in Canada late last year after six people fell ill in the midst of a vaccination campaign in Alberta. Health Canada advised against the use of the three lots of MMR vaccine sold by MerckFrosst Canada, while it investigated the suspected cases of anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction characterized by swelling and difficulty breathing....
Hi Claire! It's J... Quote: As far as I have researched (DD and I both suffer from eczema), vaccines can cause allergies like eczema to be more severe. I'd say eczema is a reason to be ultra cautious about vaccinations, not the other way around! I was just going to sat that...ITA. Maybe it's just me, but how does having eczema make you high risk for contracting polio???? Strange... I think you handled the situation well...I've run into a...
Quote: Just remember that you don't have to do everything else medical just because of the induction. YOu'll probably need continuous fetal monitoring, but that does NOT mean you have to spend your whole labor lying in the bed! Bring a birth ball, you can stand, etc. Once you get labor going you can try to keep it going w/ nipple stim and possibly disconnect the Pit. ITA. Keep moving and out of the bed for as long as you can. I probably walked the...
I agree with all the good points the PPs said. I had my DD induced at 37w5d, for medical reasons (Rh antibodies), and this birth will be an induction as well. My DD's induction was a 46 hour marathon...thank goodness I had an OB willing to let me keep laboring and not just lose patience and section me. I had a great doula and support team with me all the way. I kept walking, or sat on the birth ball under the hot shower, avoided the continual fetal monitoring and...
My DD is 3 and completely unvaxed. She's not sheltered in any way. In the summer, she plays in the park/playground (although it's not fun getting a splinter out of her hand from old wooden equipment or tending the constantly scraped knees--the end result of a fun day of playing), goes swimming, plays in the fountains of the government grounds with the thousand other kids there, goes to playdates, etc....in winter it's indoor playgrounds, more playdates, malls, etc. We've...
There's a link to a rhogam thread in my siggie and there is another thread in this forum a couple of pages down... I'm not sure what may be going on, especially a month in. With pathological jaundice from Rh issues etc., this usually shows up a day after birth. My DD was a Rh baby (I am sensitized and have antibodies) and she didn't require any transfusions but needed the bili lights for a week after she was born. If her Coombs test was negative, I wonder how all this...
I'm just wondering where this all leads down the road...are we going to be looking at MMR boosters, chickenpox boosters every 5-7 years or so well into the adult years? With the latest mumps outbreak in my area, the majority of the teens/young adults had been vaccinated as children, and the new campaign was targeted at the teen/college age group to get MMR boosters... I'm wondering how long until this becomes a blanket recommendation for all adults? I can see the...
Goldfish, I understand what you're saying...I guess it just seemed odd to read that you'd save yourself for an entire transfusion of Rh pos blood if needed. I'm not a hematologist, but seeing as just minute amounts can cause problems with us, I would rather not get a whole pint of the wrong rhesus factor if I had a choice (and there was O neg onhand), but I guess to each their own... Yeah, if I had to do it all again, I would go with the postnatal shot (just once) as...
First, a couple of points to remember: 1) Rhogam/winrho is NOT 100% protection. It has a failure rate. I had all the prenatal shots, on schedule, given by trained medical professionals and I was sensitized anyway by an internal prenatal bleed just before delivery. Whoops, guess it's not foolproof... 2)I am on sensitized pregnancy #2. There are quite a few of us actually, sensitized through either rhogam failure, blood transfusions (in the case of iso pgs like...