or Connect

Posts by japonica

Good question, T.   Well, as everyone can see from my dT thread, we were trying to get the dT for them but have run into the wall of pig-headed Australian bureaucracy and we have to wait until the kids are 10 years old to start that series (unless we move back to Canada before then  ).   Others we're considering...MMR before puberty. We'd do one shot only and check titre level.    Further down the list...chicken pox and meningococcal. Varicella just because it sucks...
Mmm. Fil. I haven't had any since I lived in Sweden. They sell it in litre tetrapaks in every grocery store in the country over there.    Cultures for Health seems to have a starter culture. I've never tried theirs.   http://www.culturesforhealth.com/filmjolk-yogurt-starter.html
I was going to mention checking kijiji and/or doing a search online. I recall I stumbled onto a kefir list serv a few years ago (can't recall the name right now) with people posting that they had grains to share and I met up with someone at the local mall and he gave me a jar of milk kefir grains. They were great quality too (as far as I could tell, it being my first foray into making it). He didn't charge anything. He said he always had more than he could use himself.
Just browsing through the Immunisation Handbook and the product monographs again. I had asked my GP where the evidence was for raising the age from 8 years to 10 years for the ADT booster and similar adult boosters. He said, "Oh, well, there must be some reason for it."  Reading the Australian Immunisation Handbook, they state that all the infant vaccines SHOULD be used on kids aged 10 years and younger. Even though Canada and the US advise against this (their upper age...
I agree with what kathy said. I wouldn't make any decisions based on a lecture/rant by an ER doctor.   We've had nothing but threats and hostility the few times we've been to the ER. Whereas our family GP is willing to discuss different approaches to vaccination and hear us out, we've had an ER doctor storm off saying he was going to complain to our family GP about our kids' lack of vaccinations and he also told us that our kids would never be able to attend school...
 What gets me is the constant blaming and finger pointing at abstaining families, yet if manufacturers and health officials actually gave families more choices in both products available and the scheduling of them, they might actually see an increase in uptake for those families who have made the conscious decision to avoid the combo vaccines.  We've fallen through the cracks right now because we can't get the product we'd like here and official recommendations are...
Yeah. I didn't hear back from them yet, so I guess we're in limbo land. Ie. looks like a no to the dT until after age 10, so we'll have to wait until then. It's interesting that the Australian GP here is hesitant to use the adult dT because he's wary of reactions yet when I looked at the Canadian Immunization Guide, they recommend using the adult formulas on children older than 7 years: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/p04-tet-eng.php  It repeats again in...
I just thought I'd bump this up. We brought the kids in yesterday thinking that we could start the series using the dT in a variation from the product info as discussed with our GP. The recently revised Immunisation Handbook says this is allowable for children 10 years of age and older. Our GP, however, appeared to have second thoughts and said that he needed to contact TPTB about using the dT as a primary series in children under 10 years of age. I mentioned to him that...
Yeah, when the Australian government (yes, "get your vaccines or we'll keep your family tax benefits" Australia) stopped paying for the cocooning strategy in June, something must have been up.    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/states-ending-free-parent-whooping-vaccine/story-e6frfku0-1226350174856
I could give you a referral for Edmonton ones, but that's a bit of a drive from Calgary.   I just wanted to reiterate what Kathy said. Most peds and GPs are pretty laid back about the whole issue. My kids' former peds probably wouldn't have agreed with our choice to forego them for as long as we have, but we told them we were delaying and they were okay with that and never brought the subject up again (even though DS was 14 months old when we moved and we had a bunch of...