or Connect

Posts by japonica

They'd probably recommend against my GP too. When we talked about it, he had some that he thought were vital and others that were much, much lower on his list.
If the board follows the spirit of the new guidelines of S&D, I may frequent more often.   Personally, I feel that posting threads with links back to blogs that are critical of the choices made by "anti-vaxers" contributes to a vibe of intolerance of parents who are following a S&D schedule, perhaps reluctantly, and who are questioning both the products themselves and the scheduling of them. It's not that hard to understand really that some of us have questions and...
  Not in Australia.   Thus, any vaccine choices our family makes are influenced by the fact that there is NO recourse, no no-fault compensation available should one of our kids suffer a permanent injury as a result of government-approved and recommended vaccines.
Ouch. I thought your email wasn't antagonistic or attacking them, but at the same time, I can see how they (with their perspective) might feel like you're not willing to let things go.    I would do as I advised previously. Walk away. Let them initiate any contact from here out. You've made your point. They've made theirs. They're not willing to budge. Okay, maybe after their LO has had her full set of vaxes on schedule and is, in their minds, protected from the...
Good luck marketing it over here. I see it's approved for kids aged 3 and over. With the Fluvax fiasco still fresh in Australian parents' minds, one insurer found that 60% of parents don't intend to give their kids a flu vaccine. With low parental confidence in flu vaccines and still no no-fault compensation for parents of injured children, I'd imagine there's less high-fiving going on here.
I like to point out Canadian stats when folks around me here in Oz start to get panicked that their rate is only, gasp, 95%. As in...Canada's rate is about 10% lower and where's the fire?   Yet, whooping cough is more prevalent here than in Canada apparently, with Ruiting Lan's research highlighting how 85% of the strains now detected in notifiable cases are ones not present in the vaccine. Hmm. So, at first glance Australia has higher pertussis vaccine uptake yet...
Agree with most of the replies above. It would definitely be hurtful. Kudos to the OP's brother for standing by them. I would probably send an email or message along the lines of, "Sorry you feel that way. Hope the party goes well," and leave the door open for any contact down the road. I would probably also mention as politely as possible that if they are attempting to cocoon their LO and are worried about the threat of infection, then throwing a party with a bunch of...
Just to throw even more into the discussion, I think Caplan's argument is altered by the specific legislative avenues and compensation availability in each particular country.   In Australia, there is, as yet, no form of no-fault compensation for vaccine injuries. The Royal Australasian College of Physicians has asked the government to put one into place, but nothing yet. Sure, there is the brand new Disability Insurance Scheme, but that has to do with disability...
  I think part of the issue is that the "truth" is a moving target, right? I mean, isn't the search for truth a whole philosophical question in itself?   Have you got a good GP of family doctor who is respectful and you can work with? In our case, we've discussed vaccines a number of times, he listens and is supportive of concerns (not dismissive) and when we put forward what we would like to do and how we would like to proceed (which in our case is very delayed, fraction...
 And anyone with "just a cold," or the slightest cold symptoms, tell them, sorry, but come back and visit when you're well.