or Connect

Posts by cottonwood

I have a love/hate relationship with IKEA. I love the style and price, but hate that they use so many synthetics. We have learned a lot of lessons. Bought our kitchen cabinetry there, the bases are particle board and they are falling apart, and for a long time off-gassed formaldehyde. Bought some "all wood" dressers, assuming that "all wood" meant "all wood." The drawer bottoms were particle board and made me so sick we had to replace them, and that was a major pain....
Oh, I hear you. We live in a wet/coolish climate and things mildew overnight. In addition we have well water, and even with the filter bacteria gets through. If I leave a wet wash cloth on the sink overnight, it is guaranteed to stink in the morning. So gross. What I do is I put my cleaning cloths outside to dry -- if they can get that air to them, they won't stink. It's almost magical it works so well. Sometimes this is not very convenient so I'm thinking about trying...
Here's what I know: Stress plays a major part in my OCD. The lower the stress level in my life, the fewer OCD behaviors. That's the obvious thing. But I wonder too about diet and am glad to see it being discussed here. Does anyone have any good sources for reading more about the connection? I found the following on Go Ask Alice, and frankly I'm more confused after reading it than before. Does this mean carbs are good? Or bad? Or that protein is good? Or bad?...
I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread too! My husband and I want to simplify our life quite a bit, our dream is to live as cheaply and sustainably as possible. Right now he's working a 9-5 job that's killing him, but we don't know what else to do for income. We've talked about buying property and homesteading but property is very expensive around here, and I don't know how feasible it is to look at other parts of the country (he's very attached to the NW, family...
That was just a note to myself, so that I didn't forget to get your information. People usually don't check back here. I just need the month/year of your first UC, and yes, please let me know when you have the baby so I can add it to the list too. Thanks!
Updated except for MidwifeMegan444.
Quote: Originally Posted by whiteisle We hit a furniture sale once with all 3 of ours and a lady commented as we passed by, "No school today?" with this fake smile-thing. I always say, "Oh, I don't know," and leave it at that. I realize that's a bit snotty as I know very well that what they are really wanting is information about my kids, but I am just so tired of people assuming that school is not only the default but the most important thing...
Handwriting is still useful in some contexts (for instance, my husband is applying for a new job and it must be done on paper but we don't have a typewriter, so his handwriting skill suddenly becomes relevant) but I will be surprised if it is anything but an art form by the time our kids are grown. Considering that future, I see it not as a necessary tool but just one of those things that some people might choose to be interested in pursuing; like I choose to play piano....
Used for induction, the stories I've heard have generally been unpleasant but not horrible. In my case we used it for augmentation after I was well into labor and I was in agony with intestinal cramping. Dealing with that was exhausting and demoralizing and did NOT contribute positively to the labor. It was also completely unnecessary -- the labor was progressing fine, just slowly. Either way, whatever gets to the mother gets to the baby, and so it can cause distress in...
It sounds like community college might be irrelevant since you want to go to the art institute, but if you change your mind there might be ways around the cost. Here, for instance, the county pays for CC classes in lieu of the teen attending high school. A guidance counselor at your high school might have info, or call your local school district offices or the CC itself to find out. I'm guessing what your dad doesn't like the idea of is CC instead of university. But CC...