or Connect

Posts by cottonwood

Stormbride, YES. Great examples. Quote: Originally Posted by momtoS The first video shows unschoolers as: tv watching, video gaming, staying up all night, sleeping all day, eating donuts anywhere in the house for breakfast What cracks me up about this is that any specially chosen thirty seconds out of a person's life, if implied to be representative of the whole of their life, could look pretty damning. In our house it might show me eating...
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtRoadMama I do know that if I hadn't been MADE to take my math classes, I would not have learned anything past fractions (because I liked to cook, and fractions happen quite often in cooking). If I hadn't learned the more complex subjects, and learned how to sit through subjects I didn't care about at the time, I don't think I would have ever found my field of work, or pursued my degree field (accounting! of all thing,...
Quote: Originally Posted by stik Kids forget. It's a thing they do. Most people forget, when it's something that's not interesting to them or relevant to their lives. A lot of traditional schooling falls into that category. The problem being not the information itself, but its lack of meaningful context and present usefulness. Quote: If you are learning things alongside your 4yo, that also says lovely things about your regular...
If somebody said to me "don't you think s/he's too old?" I'd say, "Exactly what are you implying?" Three out of my four children still sleep in my room with me. Two of them, eight and five years old, sleep on either side of me, and the other, eleven years old, sleeps in a bed next to ours. Up until recently (when he started staying up later than me) the eleven-year-old still liked to cuddle before going to sleep. I have no doubt he'd still be sleeping in my bed if...
I am also a person who doesn't like crowds and noise... and it does tend to be BUSY. But, it does help to check your expectations and realize that you don't have to participate in anything. For me it's good simply to soak up the positive atmosphere and have a few quiet conversations here and there, and I retreat to my room or the pool when I need to. Getting up early (when it's quiet in the hotel) helps too. The kids on the other hand, love everything about it. They talk...
"...if you spend your time playing video games you can't spend your time doing other things." I.e., if you spend your time playing you can't spend your time doing other things. This isn't just about video games, it's about the mentality that says that learning and accomplishment are work, so that if you're playing you're not learning or accomplishing anything... which is nonsense. In fact, the opposite is more true: that work -- or the attitude that what one is doing...
I can't really say when it happened, it was so gradual, like learning to talk. My two oldest (13 and 11) do not know how to write in cursive. They print, legibly. They both type quite well (their main form of written communication, as is mine.) My 8-year-old is learning to print. My five-year-old is only interested in numbers right now. How it happened was that in the beginning they would just copy things, just for the fun of it. Then they started seeing how it could...
Quote: Originally Posted by no5no5 I recently told DD (who is a young, attached 4, and who has never taken a class) that she can't play in a pool until she's taken a swimming class. After I said it, I immediately reconsidered. Why can't she teach herself to swim, if that's what she prefers? I have a visceral reaction to that--it's a safety issue--but maybe I'm wrong. Lessons can be an efficient way to learn what is needed for specific...
That's too bad -- I completely understand her feelings, but gosh that was a beautiful video. One of my favorite.
I'll be there. On the UC panel with Hathor.