or Connect

Posts by cottonwood

I'm in Oregon also, and it's as lorrielink says. If you're somehow found out (the only way would be if someone reported you because the state does not track all children from birth) you must then register and possibly pay a fine.
Quote: Originally Posted by brennan He doesn't want her to be "weird". It might help him to get some perspective on this by meeting some other homeschoolers. Check out some local homeschooling groups, and when you've found the people who you relate to, bring him along. Make sure there are teens included. Blogs are also a good source for seeing what real homeschooling people are like. I bet it will go a long way toward dispelling the myth that...
Quote: Originally Posted by African Tulip I think that learning to write in cursive is important. There are times when it's needed (signing your name) and it does make writing things down quicker. My DH is a printer/crusive hybrid writer and it takes him way longer to put something on paper than I do. That's interesting, because I've used many different types of writing (I'm an artist and went to architecture school, so there was a period of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dar I personally think unschooling is only a meaningful label when set in opposition to some kind of schooling Yes. "Unschool" is a useful term for us to use in communicating to other people what we do, but at the same time I kind of resent the expectation that we must define ourselves in terms of school to begin with. We "became" unschoolers only because and when we said 'no' to school. In reality there was never...
Quote: Originally Posted by BabyMae09 I just stopped my Mom and DS, saying 'he's getting frustrated, let's stop for now' and she said 'sometimes a little frustration is good for people.' I woke up this morning thinking about this. My first thought is "that's nonsense" but it really depends on what your mom is talking about (maybe she's misreading the situation?) Challenge can be stimulating, certainly. For myself, I find this most often in...
Oh, this kind of stuff drives me NUTS! : Quote: Originally Posted by mama in the forest I also think though, that sometimes it's interesting to talk to your child about his own boundaries. How old is he? He doesn't need to be very old to learn how to decide for himself whether he would like to continue or stop. Your mom is right about one thing - frustration can be a good thing, and your son can learn how to deal with his on his own terms. This...
The urge to bearing down as feels good is your body cuing you to help it in some way. It may be to help position the baby or dilate the cervix. I had these bearing down urges even before labor began, and they felt so good to satisfy. It's very different than the "throwing down" expulsion of the body trying to move the baby through the birth canal, which is what most people think of when they think of pushing.
Quote: Originally Posted by craft_media_hero I do feel pressure, tho, mostly because we belong to a public school charter program and (to me) the reading goals for ending firsties/beginning 2nds seems really pretty high. They are, but that doesn't mean that most kids are meeting them except perhaps in a superficial way. I'm guessing that it does mean that a lot of kids are stressed. My son wasn't close to the only one his age struggling to read...
I agree with you, OP, to me that would be boring and limited. But the people who find that using a strict curriculum "works" have different goals than me and find different things valuable, in fact they have a whole different philosophy of life. So I can't really criticize it, I can't do any more really than just recognize that it's not for us.
You might also want to get her eyes tested for close vision. It's common and normal for younger children to be slightly far-sighted so that focusing on print is a strain. I'm not a fan of the Phonics learning system. It's clearly helpful to many kids to first understand that the individual symbols correspond to sounds, but sounding out every new word is laborious and inefficient and confusing (so that kids give up in frustration.) I'm not a fan of the "whole word"...